Top Shelf Aquatics

Wow, its been a LONG time since I posted any pictures...

sandsrfr

I have the "flower looking/clover type of things" living under a leather in what looks like porites......cool have you asked Dr Ron to I D them????? I you find out give me a PM

Thanks

I hope you don't mind but I hijacked your flower looking/clover type of things photo and posted with DR Ron for I D I haven't been able to get any shots as good as yours

UnderWaterWorld,

I'm using the canon S50 (with a .5x wide angle lens/adapter to get in a bit closer). Great camera so far for a 'prosumer' point and shoot.

vetteman,

No problem, hopefully he can ID them....

Let me know if you find out ;)

J

Thanks for the info. I thought it might be a fromia, that's why I asked. I intend to get one eventually. I would like to put another 6 months or so on my system first though for the sake of stability.

• 2 months later...

Thanks Chris!

Quite a nice tank you got there yourself. I wish I could get my zoos to flourish like your's seem to be. ;) I'll have to come down from Santa barbara some time and steal some frags from you, hehe..

Sands

JMT,

Thanks for the compliments! I actually keep thinking that to myself as-well (that my pictures sure do make the tank look better that it really is.

Hey MarLooney,

Thanks, that shroom is really amazing. I know have 3 baby shroom that was been birthed by it (I never see it split, so I'm not sure how it keeps reproducing).

I'm up in Santa Barbara. I rarely ever get down to Diego (quite a long haul), but sometimes I catch a weekend loop down in the LAX area to visit a few LFS's. Maybe sometime we'll catch up with each other and trade!

Sands

digitallinx

can you give us a pic of your iceprobe...do you use a controller...is it holding your tank temps to par, being a 18 gal

hi digitallinx,

I don't have any pics of the probe (back in the corner and hard to get one of it in use), BUT..... It looks exactly like this one that marine depot sells (as a kit in a powerfilter).

http://www.marinedepot.com/IMD/ch_ia_microchiller.jpg

http://www.marinedepot.com/aquarium_chille...ler.asp?CartId=

I bought awhile back in a group buy that someone put together (don't remember if it was here or on reefcentral). Yes, I also have the controller with it that is set right at 80 degrees.

So far it has done wonders and holds my tank really steady. I haven't hit the heat stroke of the summer here with it yet, so that will be the test of all time. Fortunately for me, the tank is on the first floor (and for some reason it is always like a chiller down there most of the year).

I think I paid like $125 or so for the chiller/controller, and I picked up the powerfilter from petsmart or petco for $20 or whatever. Drilled the necessary hole in the lid (right over the media/output bay) and it works fine. I use the filter to house phos-ban every now and then.

To be honest tho, I think if it was directly mounted in the tank (ie: drilled into the back wall) it would prolly do better. Its not a bad little item to have, but I think 18 gallons is pushing its limit (likely work wonders on something like a little minibow or the smaller via aqua).

The price of some of the thermo-electric heater/chiller combos is starting to come down and you can pick them up for maybe 3 bills (still alot of money, but I'd rather shell out the cash then listen to a little tornado fan blowing across the water all day). Azoo has one I've been eyeing that is an automatic switching heater/chiller combo so you could get rid of the heater in the tank, and run the system thru a SQWD closed loop system.

Good luck, let us know what you end up using.

Sands

Originally posted by sandsrfr

Thanks Chris!

Quite a nice tank you got there yourself.  I wish I could get my zoos to flourish like your's seem to be.  ;)  I'll have to come down from Santa barbara some time and steal some frags from you, hehe..

Sands

I just moved from Santa Barbara about 2 months ago. Do you ever go over to the Ocean Floor? I wonder if I know you:)

Anyway your going to have to come down here to Santa Clarita because I am running out of room in my prop tank...

Here is a pic of one of my latest additions. My tank is so full I am just buying frags for my prop tank...:)

Those red zoos are really that bright. When I got them I thought the owner was running hella lot atinic. But, to no I got them home and yeah they are one of my fav's now!!!

Hey Chris,

Yup I go to Ocean Floor all the time (thats where I get my water every week). I also frequent Aquatic Gardens since its on my way home, but they aren't up to snuff anymore now that dotty sold the buz. Bound to have bumped into at one of the 2 places, tho I don't spend much time in either (sorta in and out, if it don't catch my eye, i'm out).

I'll have to take you up on that offer! Things have been slim pickings up here lately (but I am finiky, sp?, when it comes to my pieces).

Nice zoos! Unfortunately, my orange zoos have all in all evaporated, so all I have now are green, pink, and some brown/orange centers. Maybe one day I can figure out how to get them little puppies to grow and I'll have a mad stash like you do in your tank (really impressive btw!).

Sands

• 7 months later...

Archived