Innovative Marine Aquariums

What to dose in BC14g?

Reefmonster

Reefmonster

What should I be dosing in my BC14G? I recently had an algae issue(generated by a Play-Doh accident) that was erradicated by my CUC, and now am wondering what I should be dosing regularly...I just got a Seachem CA, MG test kit so I'll start testing those parameters shortly. I did test the Carbonate Hardness and it was around 450 or so, and the pH is 8.5 or so. I added some buffer, so it should stabilize.

Ammonia is zero

Nitrite is zero

Nitrate is around 5 or so, very light on the scale

Phosphates are zero since I started running the Phosban Reactor

I notice that my pH fluctuates between 8.3 in the morning to 8.6 or so just before the lights go off and was wondering if that could be from my Phosban reactor?

I run a Phosban Reactor, and have Chemi-pure Elite and Activated Carbon in chamber 3 next to the pump. I also have a home-made air-driven skimmer in chamber 1. I tore out the false floor. I replaced the pump with a Hydor Pico 1200, and got a LED build from MikeTR. I also just started running Chaeto in Chamber 2 in my Media Basket. The light is on an opposite schedule to my main display.

I hear alot about Part A/Part B, but don't know which one to buy. I used to use Kent alot, but have seen B-Ionic and wondered if that would be better. I also started slowly adding Vitamin C to the system for the zoas I plan to keep. Is there anything else I should be doing?

Any help is welcome...criticism is too.

Thank you!

What should I be dosing in my BC14G? I recently had an algae issue(generated by a Play-Doh accident) that was erradicated by my CUC, and now am wondering what I should be dosing regularly...I just got a Seachem CA, MG test kit so I'll start testing those parameters shortly. I did test the Carbonate Hardness and it was around 450 or so, and the pH is 8.5 or so. I added some buffer, so it should stabilize.

Ammonia is zero

Nitrite is zero

Nitrate is around 5 or so, very light on the scale

Phosphates are zero since I started running the Phosban Reactor

I notice that my pH fluctuates between 8.3 in the morning to 8.6 or so just before the lights go off and was wondering if that could be from my Phosban reactor?

I run a Phosban Reactor, and have Chemi-pure Elite and Activated Carbon in chamber 3 next to the pump. I also have a home-made air-driven skimmer in chamber 1. I tore out the false floor. I replaced the pump with a Hydor Pico 1200, and got a LED build from MikeTR. I also just started running Chaeto in Chamber 2 in my Media Basket. The light is on an opposite schedule to my main display.

I hear alot about Part A/Part B, but don't know which one to buy. I used to use Kent alot, but have seen B-Ionic and wondered if that would be better. I also started slowly adding Vitamin C to the system for the zoas I plan to keep. Is there anything else I should be doing?

Any help is welcome...criticism is too.

Thank you!

Dont dose anything you cant test for, having said that, I dose Essential Elements every 2 weeks and in the weeks between, I dose Potassium Iodide (I dont test for these ;) ) For a BC14, I think a Part A/B type of dosing is too much work, my opinion only. I use Tropic Marin BioCalcium - doses for Alk and Calcium at the same time. I use about 1/2 tsp every other day and it keeps my dKH at 8 and Calcium at 410. Dont shoot for perfect numbers, shoot to be in range. My tank natually likes to maintain these numbers after water changes, so this is what I keep them at. Saves money, headache and the tank is stable - better for everything in the tank. I also add about 15ml of Mg to my change water, which is about 2 gallons every week - Mg stays at 1350-1400.

Seems like your pH is a bit high, but the fluctuations are due to your corals using up the CO2 during the day, which increases your pH.

Also seems like you have some redundant chemical media. No need for a Phosband reactor if you are using ChemiPure Elite (it has GFO). And no need for carbon as well, since chemipire elite also has carbon. You could run the 100ml bag of Purigen though. No need for the skimmer if you do weekly water changes too.

+1 on testing first. I have a pretty heavy bioload in my tank so I actually have to dose MG and Bionic 2part daily, to keep within range, plus I do 1 3/4 gallon water changes every week.

For some reason my tank sucks down MG, must be time for a larger tank :D:)

I would not dose anything that you cant test for like devil stated. I just do weekly changes and dose calcium in the tank twice a week. Thats about it.....

I just run rowa phosphate remover and kent resin. Use filter floss for filtration.

Reefmonster

I think I'm gonna try the Tropic Marin BioCalcium and BioMagnesium if it tests low. I change about 32oz saltwater daily and mix Instant Ocean on a weekly basis for all the WC I do during the week.

I also thought about dosing Vitamin C when the Zoa's get a bit denser. I did it in my 40G, but I know the 14G is a different beast so I haven't done it yet.

I really appreciate you guys taking time to reply.

Thanks a ton!

Archived