Coral Vue Hydros

Macro Algae for human consumption?

cthumphr

Hi, I am curious if there are any macro algae that work in tropical marine tanks like ours that one could grow and also eat (like in a salad or something). Any thoughts?

probably, i'd look into what macros are used for food, and then see if you can keep them.most macros can handle a variety of temps from the temperate to tropics

ChibiHydra808

I'm pretty sure that some ulva (ex. sea lettuce/ulva lactuca?) and some gracilaria (ex.gracilaria coronopifolia) are edible. These are the first that come to mind but ulva kinda has the texture of plastic. I would look into this more cuz I'm not sure, and some macros might give you food poisoning so I'd check it first.

I will look into ulva and gracilaria. I am just interested in growing something different that might add something to my diet. I wonder if John at Reef Cleaners would have any stuff I can eat?

johnmaloney

oh yeah i do...you should try the halymenia. :)

lol....we tricked some guy into eating it one day, new guy we were with. Told him it tasted great, he made me eat some first...oh man that is salty! lol...seaweed is pretty nasty for the most part, takes some cooking skill to get it right. My grandfather cooks it like cabbage, he is Irish and that is his thing...boil all flavor from food, and then pour on mustard and spices afterward...lol. :)

ChibiHydra808

lol....we tricked some guy into eating it one day, new guy we were with. Told him it tasted great, he made me eat some first...oh man that is salty! lol...seaweed is pretty nasty for the most part, takes some cooking skill to get it right. My grandfather cooks it like cabbage, he is Irish and that is his thing...boil all flavor from food, and then pour on mustard and spices afterward...lol. :)

I like it better straight from the ocean :P

Well... Seriously if the stuff isn't poisonous, I will try it. I have tried kelp and dulce and that stuff is good, but you do have to boil it. But I am looking for something I can grow that would attach to my current tank set up, so it would need to grow in tropical water. Most of the stuff I eat is cold water stuff and I don't plan on getting a chiller anytime soon. Thanks for the input.

lol john, nice and hard right? got lots of calcium tho good for bones and such, lol i'd never dream of eating it lol.

I like seaweed, dried, in soup, with rice, you name it. I have also taken it off my fishing hooks, then eaten it. Then again this isn't tropical stuff so I dunno....

I think it would be cool though. Like an underwater garden I could snack on...I really want to know if there are any edible ones.

Edit: I mean edible as in, taste OK...

FishOnTheBrainCoral

Wouldn't you be concerned with all the chemicals we add to our tanks being absorbed by them...then you?

Wouldn't you be concerned with all the chemicals we add to our tanks being absorbed by them...then you?

Yes I have thought of that for sure...and I think if I did this I would try to just go by weekly water changes and not use any additive. I mostly keep softies, so I think I could get away with that.

Meh I don't dose...

Well you can really eat anything from nature with correct preparation you just have to try different things. Like the guy who invented escargo probabley didnt see a snail and think " that looks delicious" he probabley was thinking "ahh what the hell" and took a bite and said " needs more salt" and voila escargo maybe you should just try something with some spices you like and just experiment with it.

Well you can really eat anything from nature with correct preparation you just have to try different things. Like the guy who invented escargo probabley didnt see a snail and think " that looks delicious" he probabley was thinking "ahh what the hell" and took a bite and said " needs more salt" and voila escargo maybe you should just try something with some spices you like and just experiment with it.

lol, you've obviously never had escargot.

johnmaloney

lol - i get what you mean.

How would you prepare gracilaria after boiling it? Any secret limu recipes?

lakshwa -

i remember hearing that caulerpa has alkaloids in it that at certain levels can cause liver damage. i am not sure if that is true, but I have seen film of people enjoying it in the south pacific, so who knows. Have you heard anything like that?

lol, you've obviously never had escargot.

I can actually say I had some in Paris. Loved it too....

davidncbrown
lol - i get what you mean.

How would you prepare gracilaria after boiling it? Any secret limu recipes?

lakshwa -

i remember hearing that caulerpa has alkaloids in it that at certain levels can cause liver damage. i am not sure if that is true, but I have seen film of people enjoying it in the south pacific, so who knows. Have you heard anything like that?

I could definitely see the alkaloids as a reason why caulerpa is so unpalatable to many species. After all that is the purpose for many alkaloids in various plant species.

You could always scrape the cyano off your glass (if you have any) and eat that. :P. I'd be too freaked out about getting any bacterial infections, or fish TB or something crazy for eating anything out of my tank. I've heard of ppl getting sick from accidentally swallowing skimmate... I'd stick to store bought foods if I were you.

Bah so many people rave about poki.

It's for the texture not flavor,

it's weird to describe on what it tastes like.

Now in sushi that my sister has nearly perfected,

my homemade pickled ginger, soyu, wasabi, nori and some nori sesami flakes then you've got something good :)

in Hawaii they serve ogo (Gracilaria) with poke. yummy.

Lets just say I have to do just what we are talking about on a large scale,

hopefully within 6 months if the start time isn't delayed.

el fabuloso

Grape caulerpa (Caulerpa lentillifera) is a popular delicacy in Cebu known as lato. It's very good actually.

2184975818_8af407cffa.jpg

latosalad.jpg

003.JPG

Archived