inTank Media Baskets

Hydor Pico Evolution

jojoe972

interesting about the deflector on a pico causing less flow than others. Didnt know about that one. When replacing the hose does it sit snug over the piece of plastic to go out into the tank or is it a little lose?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
interesting about the deflector on a pico causing less flow than others. Didnt know about that one. When replacing the hose does it sit snug over the piece of plastic to go out into the tank or is it a little lose?

It needs to be very snug, should be tight. WIth the 5/8 hose I am using its very tight and hard to put on. As for the debate whether it loses too much pressure with a hydor flo I think that's crazy. I have my pico 1200 in my Biocube 14 with a hydor flo and it breaks the surface of the water considerably on every rotation. Any stronger and the water would hit the acrylic light cover.

Reefmonster

After I replaced the stock pump with the Hydor I put my Hydor Flo on it and it blew off, so I never put it back on. I don't think it needs it.

nanew reefer

for the bc29 i plan on removing to nozzle altogether, and using the 5/8" hose with the pico 1200 directly inline.

then a mp10 ahhhhh cant wait

good call on the head pressure, perhaps the mj1200 would be more suited for a sump application, while we have just the 3rd chamber?

The Pico Evolutions are designed to work with the Hydor Flos. You will not see a significant flow reduction when using the 2 products together.

In fact, you will soon be able to purchase the Pico 1200 with a Nano magnet mount and a Hydor Flo included. It is called the Pico Evo Mag.

nanew reefer
The Pico Evolutions are designed to work with the Hydor Flos. You will not see a significant flow reduction when using the 2 products together.

In fact, you will soon be able to purchase the Pico 1200 with a Nano magnet mount and a Hydor Flo included. It is called the Pico Evo Mag.

You sound like the rep for Hydor.

Can you indeed tell us whether the Pico Evolution 1200 adds more heat than say a stock BC29 pump, or a pump indended for sump use (say the MJ1200)?

You sound like the rep for Hydor.

Can you indeed tell us whether the Pico Evolution 1200 adds more heat than say a stock BC29 pump, or a pump indended for sump use (say the MJ1200)?

lol. I can't answer that question. I do not know the technical specs of the Maxijet.

I would like to put this heat debate into perspective though. Odds are that the heat a single small powerhead produces whether it be a MJ, Pico, Rio, etc is minimal, especially when compared to the typical ligthing system on a reef tank, nano tanks included.

lol. I can't answer that question. I do not know the technical specs of the Maxijet.

I would like to put this heat debate into perspective though. Odds are that the heat a single small powerhead produces whether it be a MJ, Pico, Rio, etc is minimal, especially when compared to the typical ligthing system on a reef tank, nano tanks included.

True, but I think will all the stuff that we put in the system whether is be lights, powerheads, skimmer, etc etc start to add up. Any reduction of heat is still reduction of heat...

nanew reefer
True, but I think will all the stuff that we put in the system whether is be lights, powerheads, skimmer, etc etc start to add up. Any reduction of heat is still reduction of heat...

+1

At least if the PE1200 is not very efficient, it will still beat the stock pump at say 20W not being efficient...

please do tell and is there a pix of this pico evo mag?

There are pictures and information available on the Hydor website.

Reefmonster

When I added my Hydor Pico 1200 the tank temp went down by 2 degrees...does it add heat? I know it adds less heat than the MJ1200 did, and that's good enough for me.

When I added my Hydor Pico 1200 the tank temp went down by 2 degrees...does it add heat? I know it adds less heat than the MJ1200 did, and that's good enough for me.

Glad to hear it worked out!!!

that's promising news!

nanew reefer

My tanks arrived I will do a comparison between the PE1200 and the stock BC29 pump once I get some RO/DI in there. At the rate that thing produces it might take foreveer to get it filled :)

the max pumping height of 28" compared to the mj1200 69"

Wow, glad I saw this. I was leaning toward the PE1200 to run my chiller instead of the MJ1100. MJ1100 it is!

Which would be the best Hydor Pump for a Nanocube 12? Since they are adjustable would it just be best to get the 1200?

I was using the PE1200 in my BC14 before I upgraded to a BC29... It worked great. I adjusted the intake one notch down to slow it down a little, but I'm sure it would have been fine wide open as well...

Guys have any updates?

I have a BC29 and heat is an issue for me since I have the 150 watt MH light kit from Nano-Tuners. I am currently running a Rio 6HF, main reason was because it produced more gph and runs at less watts than the maxi 1200 I was using. After reading about the specs on the HPE, I see where it would be a trade-off for me, a little less gph, and running at less wattage. I also use the Hydor-Flo deflector so it would be nice to use the HPE with it.

so which model would be a good choice to get for a bc8 with sps, im ready to order now

Archived