Pod Your Reef

What thermometer would YOU trust?

Gromit1710

I've had the old school red fluid type thermometer in my tank for a while. I decided to change up to a digital one for ease of reading and monitoring temps.

I left the old one in just to see if they read the same.

The old one reads about 79°. It's hard to see in the pic, but the green strip is 70° to 80°

The digital one is reading 82.8° but fluxes a degree or two over a short time. Just in the time it's taken me to type this it's gone back down to an even 82°

That's a pretty big difference!

Digital thermometer was about $24.00 and the sensor is placed in chamber 1 about 3" below the water level.

I would definitely trust the mercury more than the new digital one. I had a digital one, granted it cost me $8, but its was always a couple degrees off.

I have a brand new red fluid thermometer and placed mine in the tank and it was about 1 degree lower than my digital thermometers. And yes, plural, digital thermometers. I use instant meat digital thermometers. I have 3 different brands and they are all different types. All 3 read pretty close to each other where the fluid thermometer was 1 degree off.

I have a brand new red fluid thermometer and placed mine in the tank and it was about 1 degree lower than my digital thermometers. And yes, plural, digital thermometers. I use instant meat digital thermometers. I have 3 different brands and they are all different types. All 3 read pretty close to each other where the fluid thermometer was 1 degree off.

off the subject but i love that avatar Maddevil. Those things crack me up!!!

I have three different types of thermos. 2 liquid and one digital. The liquid readings are a both a couple of degrees different! which in turn differ from the digital. Sucks.

off the subject but wtf is that thing in your avatar?!

AHAHAHAHA!!!

I found a little switch on the side....

Air temp..

Water Temp...

It was on Air.... :lol:

Thermometers are really close now.

I have three different types of thermos. 2 liquid and one digital. The liquid readings are a both a couple of degrees different! which in turn differ from the digital. Sucks.

off the subject but wtf is that thing in your avatar?!

Someone once told me, you give a man 1 watch, he'll know exactly what time it is. You give him 2 watches, he'll have no clue what time it is.

Its called the "shake weight". Not sure what they were thinking when they made this. Do a search on youtube and you'll see the commercials. You mostly see the girl commercials, but they did make one with dudes in it! :o

AHAHAHAHA!!!

I found a little switch on the side....

Air temp..

Water Temp...

It was on Air.... :lol:

Thermometers are really close now.

What... are you sweatin to the oldies?

82.8 air temp...

oh wait.. you're in AZ... in FL that'd give you some sweaty ballz..

Oh yeah :lol:

It's 97 outside on it's way up to 103 today. Actually.. that's not too bad..

97 outside... 82 inside with the a/c set at 79 and I'm on the other side of the house.

79 inside the tank... yayz.

And in Florida.. oh yeah. 83 is where you start sticking to cloth surfaces...

Archived