ReefCleaners.org

too much flow

Chyendra

so i've got this skilter 250 that i'd like to use as a fuge for my 5 gallon, as it fits very nicely on the back and holds quite a bit of water. However, the filter itself puts out way too much flow for such a tiny tank.

Is there a way to slow it down?

Or, does anybody know of a tiny powerhead i could put in the tank, attach tubeing to, and run that up to the filter box? It would have to beable to move water up at least 13"-14"

I though it would be nice, because then i could hide an small submersable heater in the filter, insetad of my tank.

i'm just kinda replying to myself here.. but that's alright! :)

so i actually filled up the tank (with freshwater), and ran the skilter (it's actually a modified skilter because i'm useing a limewood airstone in the skimmer tube instead of the noisy bubble set up it came with, it looks like it will work well. There's tons of bubbles and the pump flowing into the skimmer tube actually makes the bubbles swirl like a tornado!.... (ok so i'm just easily impressed but it was neat)) and the flow back into the tank wasn't nearly as powerful as i thought it would be :)

so i think i'm good to go! (oh and the fuge adds an extra gallon to the set up and there's room for a submersable heater, and some macro algae woo hooo!) i told my dad (non-fishy person) and he wasn't really that impressed but whatever....

Archived