ReefCleaners.org

Stocking Order

Looselyhuman

Hi folks,

I'm cycling my 2-week-old 20L, and don't plan on adding any fish for a couple of months, but want to get my stocking order figured out.

This tank has an ac300 DIY "fuge," a maxi-jet PH, 100w Visi-therm, 20lbs Aragonite "Select" and 21lbs Fiji LR. The lighting is a 30" Aqualight (2x 65w 50/50).

I'll be picking up some detritovores (Scarlet leg, Nassaria) this week.

Coral-wise, I'm thinking GSP, Zoanthids, Ricordea and Mushrooms (over the next several months). Later, I might try Anthelia and/or Nephthea, and maybe M. digitata some time down the road. My GF also wants a clam... I told her we'd talk about it next year.

As for fish and shrimp, I'd like:

1x Firefish

1x Royal Gramma

2x A. ocellaris "False Percula"

2x Skunk Cleaners

I know I should plan on the Firefish first, but am not certain which should go second, third, and fourth... ?

Also, I'm using RO water from the local grocery store, IO salt, and will figure out a DIY gravity-fed topoff with Kalkwasser. I'm hoping not to have to dose anything else.

Thanks, in advance,

Ian

cleaner shrimp should be first IMO. The the firefish , gramma, and then clowns. but thats a few fish in a 20L. I wouldn't put another in there. even then, the firefish may be prone to jmping.

As was said, clowns last, they can be territorial of new fish that enter "their" domain, but if you add them last I seriously doubt you will have any problems. It sounds like you have patience, but resist the urge to put fish in rapidly, fish have a MUCH higher bio-load than corals. So add your shrimp, a fish, and from there I would say maybe a fish per month or two. The 4 fish you listed will do fine in a 20L but I wouldn't add more than that. Good luck.

Cool, thanks bird.

I'll play the stocking levels by ear. I plan to stock slowly, so will have time to observe behavior, health, etc, for at least a month between fish. [i know all noobs say this, but I mean it.]

BTW, I'm planning the "two very small clowns" approach... Maybe I'll skip the Firefish.

Opinions, if this was your tank, would you rather have a Gramma or a Firefish?

...GF is pretty set on the clowns...

Thanks again,

Ian

Archived