Pod Your Reef

Hair Algae ?

Countzer0

After pouring over the forum for several hours doing all my searches I have seen like 80 diffrent pictures of "hair algae" ... most looking very diffrent. I posted pics of this dreaded algae that has taken over my tank ... Please help me

First what kind of algae is this .... ?

What will eat it ...?

Thanks

hair.jpg

hair2.jpg

hair3.jpg

hair4.jpg

If the images don't work the pics are posted here :

http://wintermute.netfirms.com/hair.html

That is definitely hair algae

My turbo snails love :P hair algae. I have just 6 in a 35G tank. They are useless, however, when it comes to dealing with Valonia (Bubble Algea) which is spreading nicely :( in my tank.

yep, I got some of that there hair algae too. had it growing more on the glass than the rocks tho. rip the rocks out and scrub them while you have a chance.

-skeletor-

Do the following:

1.) Get a good ccleanup crew. For my 20G I have 6 turbos snails, 6 margarita snails, 6 astera snails, 14 nassarius snails, and 13 blue legged hermit crabs. The algae gorws fast but the keep up with it. I leave the back glass alone for them to graze too.

2.) Use a phosphate aborbing material and use only RO.DI water.

well IME the best way to get rid of it is to get your hands in there and rip it out, use a net and baster to get floating bits. Your pics don't show up, so can't tell what kind it is. You can also get a soft toothbrush and scrub it off. Get a bigger cleaning crew maybe, what do you have now and gallons?

Well thanks for all the encouragement ... here are the specs and info.

I hope i did not make a BIG mistake ... i went to the LFS to pick up some clean up crew ... I had a weak moment (doh) and took the LFS advice and bought AlgaeFix its a freshwater algae destroyer but i was told it would work wonders on my saltwatrer tank .... I only dosed once 1/4 teaspoon ... then i saw the warning label ... Remove all inverts....shrimp lobsters ect ... i assume it contains copper. Any suggestions on how long to wait to add the clean up crew How many water changes i should do to make the tank safe. I now plan to take out the rocks and scrub the worst and getting more snails and blue leggs ect .... the turbos are kicking most of its tail.

29g bowfront

2 turbo snails

2x55w jbj PC Lights

HOB filter no media

Bak Pak 2R Skimmer

2 Rio 800 PHs

40lb LR

30lb LS

Tank has been up since Jan. 1

Ammonia 0

Nitrites 0

Nitrates >5

i have been using LFS premixed water ...

Yeah that stuff will do wonders for your SW tank all right... like killing everything!! Corals, snails, hermits are all highly sensitive to copper levels... I'd do 50% water changes morning and night for the next couple days, quick before it leaches (leeches?) into your rock and sand! :o

Archived