Top Shelf Aquatics

Such a thing as too much carbon?

Maddevil1

I got to thinking today that I might be running too much carbon in my BC14. I use about 2/3 cup Kent Marine Reef Carbon and change it out every 2 weeks. The instructions say to use 1 cup for every 100 gallons! :eek: The actual volume of water in my tank is about 8 gallons, but for simplicity, make it 10. Its seems like I should be using less than 1/8 cup of carbon.

Am I thinking about this correct? Just seems like so little. :unsure: Inputs?

Could running this much carbon affect my corals? Specifically color on SPS?

Most likely it is just fine. Since you are running so much you can let it go for a LOT more than 2 weeks. I personal run a cup in my 55.

Amphiprion1

If it is something you normally do or have been doing, there should be absolutely no issues. That's a lot of carbon, but mostly just wasteful than "bad." That much isn't a problem, though, unless you wait until the water is substantially yellowed--that can induce bleaching by increasing the amount of incident light. I would lessen the amount you use to be more efficient and continue the frequency.

I got to thinking today that I might be running too much carbon in my BC14. I use about 2/3 cup Kent Marine Reef Carbon and change it out every 2 weeks. The instructions say to use 1 cup for every 100 gallons! :eek: The actual volume of water in my tank is about 8 gallons, but for simplicity, make it 10. Its seems like I should be using less than 1/8 cup of carbon.

Am I thinking about this correct? Just seems like so little. :unsure: Inputs?

Could running this much carbon affect my corals? Specifically color on SPS?

There's really no such thing as 'too much' carbon. You could try running less and seeing if it has a significant impact on your system, but if you're fine with spending the money, then stick with what you know.

Most likely it is just fine. Since you are running so much you can let it go for a LOT more than 2 weeks. I personal run a cup in my 55.

Not quite. The problem is, carbon is the perfect breeding ground for the same beneficial bacteria that keep the tank cycled. Once the bacteria has formed a layer over the carbon, its efficiency drops dramatically. Even if the carbon is still physically able to remove compounds from the water, it will not be able to because of this 'bioshield'. Under ideal conditions, his 2/3c of carbon could last six or eight weeks or more, but as soon as that film starts to develop he'll see a drop in efficiency.

the only side effect to carbon is when its exausted it releases a small amount of phosphates.

Some carbons are washed in phosphoric acid prior to being sold. Others aren't. Not all carbons release phosphate into the water column.

Archived