Cultivated Reef

Rescape turned into a crash?

thirdchild

Edit: Trouble started in post #17

I did the initial scape thinking a few corals were fine and I'd like a unique aquascape...so I made kind of a basket with a hole in the middle. Now I'm addicted and need more room for coral.

What do you think? Have I got more spots for coral now?

Should I buy more rock to fill in the back?

Thanks!

Before

20100517.jpg

After

20100611.jpg

I agree. Looks pretty much the same to me.

Hmm bummer. I glued corals on the 2 biggest rocks, so couldn't rotate them or move too much or corals wouldn't get light. Maybe I really do need more rock.

that acan and chalice are horribly out of place. I'll take themoff your hands

Hahaha but I've only had the chalice for 6 days! And the acan... maybe a month? They still need time to acclimate... maybe

looks about the same. i say do it again!

Sorry, I know how much time and effort goes into trying to get the perfect scape. I would say give it another shot. I think you will be happier in the long run.

Good luck,

Sorry, I know how much time and effort goes into trying to get the perfect scape. I would say give it another shot. I think you will be happier in the long run.

Good luck,

Thanks for feedback folks. I did try this way late at night because of insomnia... I think I want to try again!

Should I pry corals off and try again soon?

Or give it a week before another try?

I squished a couple of things yesterday, and banged some against rocks...

Insomnia? Bro, definately get some sleep first. Give some time for the corals to adjust then give it another go. Just hold yourself back from sticking your hands back in the tank, for now anyway.

Well I just couldn't leave it alone...and somehow it turned into this. Kind of like a square with a tunnel through it

Gave myself a rash, so now I have to leave it alone for a while!

Better or worse?

20100611square.jpg

20100611square2.jpg

I liked your previous one better, but I think the main problem is the amount of rock you have. The rock seems stockpiled in to the brim with barely any space. I like more open sand beds to place corals upon with possible a cave in the middle or something?

I think I like the new scape best. I like being able to look at a tank from different angles and see different things.

they look the same or about the same. Not enough difference to make a difference.

I would try to avoid the "pile of rock in the middle of the tank" look as this is what many people do and it does not look very good.

Maybe put one side higher or something like that to create a less symetrical display.

I did the initial scape thinking a few corals were fine and I'd like a unique aquascape...so I made kind of a basket with a hole in the middle. Now I'm addicted and need more room for coral.

What do you think? Have I got more spots for coral now?

Should I buy more rock to fill in the back?

Thanks!

Before

20100517.jpg

After

20100611.jpg

Well I just couldn't leave it alone...and somehow it turned into this. Kind of like a square with a tunnel through it

Gave myself a rash, so now I have to leave it alone for a while!

Better or worse?

20100611square.jpg

20100611square2.jpg

soo much better. get more angles i want to copy . ;)

Oh noes! fish are lying on the sand and gasping. I've just done a 4g emergency waterchange and 2g more is mixing.

maybe this was a bad idea...

Hmm this is now an emergency topic.

So Ammonia 0 Nitrate 0 nitrite 0 phosphate 0 (or 0.25) ... what else can I test for?

Lights are off. current low. 30% WC done.

I like the newest scape best. Really nice job.

Are they still gasping?

Just keep the hands out of the tank for now and continue to change out the filter floss/sponge. How's the salinity? You can continue to do small water changes throughout the day. Only change out as far as you can let the back chambers drop without turning off the pump. Will be less stressful on the fish.

Well had to wait for the RODI and fell asleep after the salt started mixing. I just did another 4g bringing the total WC to 50%. I keep the salinity at 1.025.

Clown perked up right now... but the blenny is missing. I hope the goby is ok too. Stupid test kit still says 0.

Should I keep going on the WC? How much is safe to change in total before I start doing damage?

animalmaster6

I really really like the newest scape. Very good and you can look at it differently from each side.

I'm really sorry I wish I could help with the emergency :( Maybe changing the thread title to "Emergency! Need Help Fish are Gasping" would get more help? :)

Sigh. It's my own fault really. Couldn't keep my paws out of the tank. I didn't think rescaping would be a big deal

Blenny is sticking to the sand. I'm not sure if it's paralyzed, gasping or what. It's not event moving when nassarius or bristle worms brush against it. Are blennies less hardy than clowns? The clown is fine and ate mysis.

Should I keep the lights off? Do another WC?

Do you have any carbon or chemi pure or anything like that in there?

If not, I'd find a way to use some, even if only temporarily.

Do you have any carbon or chemi pure or anything like that in there?

If not, I'd find a way to use some, even if only temporarily.

Yes, I've got chempipure elite, normal carbon and purigen in there already. I'll try replacing the carbon now I guess, I've got a tub of that handy.

If you disturbed the sand best you could have kicked up some gas from that and it will definately cause issues with your fish and your not testing for it.

I would do another 50% soon as you can as well..

You have done 50% water volume change but your actual old water to new water is not 50% changed..

(changed 4 gal (25%) later changed antoehr 4 gal (2nd 25%) thats 50% volume but part of the 2nd 4 gallong was on average 1 gallong of new water from the first change.)

Archived