Cultivated Reef

My first SPS . . help

darwin604

Well, after much consideration I finally picked up a small SPS frag from my LFS. It's a montipora digitata (which I got due to everyone's recommendations on here). The guy at the LFS said it was a good starter coral for SPS. Anyways, he neglected to give me very much care info but he said that it will color up a bit once I get it established since the tank it came from had an alkalinity problem. Was this a sales-pitch or is this true? (its got brown polyps with a pinkish skeleton and white tips at the moment). Also, I've heard everything from high flow to low flow for the flow requirements of this coral. Wehn I put it in a high flow area of my tank the polyps seem to get annoyed and close up where the water hits it . . it seems happier in a lower flow area (still decent circulation but not too close to the direct stream from my PH. Is this okay?

Just a couple questions to make sure it's happy . . found the rest of the care info by searching so thats about it!

d.

yes, you want the polyps to be blowing in the breeze, not blown off the skeleton :) indirect flow is good.

What is your alk ? I've noticed low alk can cause monti's to fade a bit... do you know what the "alkalinity problem" in the tank was ? (to low or to high ?)

polyp extension is your best indicator of happiness..

-skeletor-

Just tested calc and its just a bit over 450, alk, havent tested in about a week or so but it should be good - I'll do a test tonite to make sure.

In the tank it came from apparently the alk was a bit low. Is it the polyps or the skeleton that will 'color up'

(I'm not expecting too much from a monti. digi. since most pics I've seen of them are brown ;) ) ?? I know I'm keeping em under PC's so I'm not expecting anything too amazing - I know MH is reccommended for SPS keeping their colors. My brother has a larger tank with tons of MH light so if it starts to look a bit weak I can always move it . .

Anyone got any advice for keeping SPS under PC? Any success with them keeping their colors??

d.

Just keep the digis high up and close to the light and you should be fine. The digi is about the best choice for a beginer SPS IMO, Good Luck.

Archived