inTank Media Baskets

Microbacter with TM bioactif salt?

mastahluong

mastahluong

The time has come for me to purchase some new salt and I was thinking about trying out the new Tropic Marine bio-actif salt. I know that the salt mix has more bacterial cultures in it. I'm also currently dosing microbacter once per week. My question is should I discontinue dosing mircobacter once i switch over to the new salt? Or should I continue dosing while still using the new salt mix?

lakshwadeep

Do you have a link to the salt mix? I haven't heard of a salt mix having bacterial cultures; dry salt sounds like a harsh environment for bacteria.

Also, what are your water parameters, and have you noticed any difference after dosing it even with your current salt?

I dont think there are any bacterial cultures in the salt itself. im using the salt right now but it just contains bio active substances that help promote cultures

mastahluong
I dont think there are any bacterial cultures in the salt itself. im using the salt right now but it just contains bio active substances that help promote cultures

You're correct, it just has more organic compounds in the mix to help the bacterial cultures.

How are you liking the salt mix? Have you noticed a difference using the mix?

Do you guys think it'll be ok to use with microbacter?

@lakshwadeep

I had an outbreak with some cyano, I tried all solutions (more flow, more frequent changes, lessen light cycle) except additives like Chemiclean. All the solutions didn't help long term but microbacter helped get rid of the red slime and it has not come back since. I even tried adding more macro which did help somewhat but the slime kept coming back. My main water parameters were all 0, pH:8.2, cal: 450, alk:9. I'm using red sea coral pro salt. Ever since dosing(3rd week now) my corals have seemed a bit more colorful, but I never took pictures to confirm this. Oh and I have a Bc29 running a skimmer and intank fuge. I've got 4 fish: false percula, six line, midas blenny and a royal gramma.

Here is a link from reefbuilders:

http://reefbuilders.com/2010/03/23/tropic-...-salt-reviewed/

You're correct, it just has more organic compounds in the mix to help the bacterial cultures.

How are you liking the salt mix? Have you noticed a difference using the mix?

Do you guys think it'll be ok to use with microbacter?

I've only done one water change on it so far, and my second one will be tomorrow. The first thing that it did was clear the water. The clarity of my water is ridiculous, its almost as though i was running tons of carbon but all im running is some chemi pure elite thats been there for 2 months already. The skimmer also picked up what it use to get in a week in 2 days.

here is my review thread that i will be updating with parameters tomorrow after my wc

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=238973

i hear it works on dinos - if anyone has info like that please share

I did have some small patches of dino which i attribute to the tank still being new, i have to admit i didnt notice it anymore after the water change with this stuff but i did have some patches again today (could have been from accidental overfeeding the day before), I'll keep a closer eye on them to see if they disappear again

I just started using it myself. I'm using it with Biopellets which is kinda similar to microbacter, I guess. I have only done one water change and will be doing another this weekend. So far I haven't noticed any difference. One thing I noticed was that the salt mixes a little bit cloudy compared to TM Pro but it states that in the bucket, so I kinda expected it. Still it doesn't leave any residue on my mixing pumps so it's not a big deal.

Anyway, after a few more water changes, I hope I start seeing some results.

mastahluong
I just started using it myself. I'm using it with Biopellets which is kinda similar to microbacter, I guess. I have only done one water change and will be doing another this weekend. So far I haven't noticed any difference. One thing I noticed was that the salt mixes a little bit cloudy compared to TM Pro but it states that in the bucket, so I kinda expected it. Still it doesn't leave any residue on my mixing pumps so it's not a big deal.

Anyway, after a few more water changes, I hope I start seeing some results.

What were the parameters of the newly mixed batch? How long have you been using biopellets? let us know how it's working with the biopellets after a while.

What were the parameters of the newly mixed batch? How long have you been using biopellets? let us know how it's working with the biopellets after a while.

Sorry I wasn't able to test the water before adding it. I will try this weekend. I've been running the biopellets since January 21st. I can't say I noticed any difference in my water quality but I feed heavily and I have 0 nitrates. Still I have some patches of cyano in some areas that hasn't disappeared yet. So I can't really tell if they make a difference. There is other company, Warner Marine I believe, that is starting to come out with their own version of Biopellets that is suppose to be better that I would like to try.

johnmaloney
I did have some small patches of dino which i attribute to the tank still being new,

hmm...i am going to call that a "doesn't count" yet. nothing against you or anything, but I mean established cases. there are some of the longer stringier stuff that just comes and goes. glad to hear it cleared up and all, but you probably know the cases I was referring too..

hmm...i am going to call that a "doesn't count" yet. nothing against you or anything, but I mean established cases. there are some of the longer stringier stuff that just comes and goes. glad to hear it cleared up and all, but you probably know the cases I was referring too..

yeh, i have nothing like that. i did notice my porcelain crab cleaning the sand where those patches were, so thats probably why it was getting cleaner

mastahluong

With you guys using this salt, do you think it's necessary to run your skimmer 24/7 because of the increased activity/efficiency of the bacteria?

I just tested my newly mixed saltwater and here is what I got.

440ppm Cal

11 dkh Alk

1350 Mag

Tested with Salifert test kits but I did the Alk with an API test kit also to make sure. I didn't have time to test Cal with the API. Seems pretty high. I'll try testing the next batch as well to verify.

With you guys using this salt, do you think it's necessary to run your skimmer 24/7 because of the increased activity/efficiency of the bacteria?

I think you should. Is there a reason you don't run it 24/7? It seems like my skimmer is producing more skimmate the last couple weeks since I starting using the salt but it may be too soon to start doing that. So it may just be all in my head.

mastahluong
I think you should. Is there a reason you don't run it 24/7? It seems like my skimmer is producing more skimmate the last couple weeks since I starting using the salt but it may be too soon to start doing that. So it may just be all in my head.

When I add the microbacter it tells me that I need to turn off skimmers for at least 4 hours. I usually add it at night around 10-11(turning the skimmer off at that time) and then turn the skimmer back on in the morning say around 8-9. This only occurs once a week so I guess I shouldn't be too worried about the skimmer.

Seems as though alk is fluctuating a bit between you and nikeSB. I think I'll still try this out and post back here when I do. Thanks for your input guys!

Archived