SaltCritters.com

Cost: Is this realistic, or am I smoking something?

maroonclown

$100. Is this enough to get a 70 or 150 watt MH system rigged up? For the 150, SE bulbs will be used for cost reasons (it's for a school tank)

I figure the parts I need are

Ballast (duh!)- $??

socket-$15

wiring- free

powercord- $3

bulb- if it can be included in the $100, good, if not, I'll spend a max of $50 on it.

Reflector/fixture- whatever I can find at the goodwill store.

Can this be done, or are there other lighting options that are less than $100? The reason for going with a MH system is aquarium size; I don't know how big it will be! It is at my school, and I am going to set it up for some extra credit and a guaranteed A on my final project :)!

hey maroonclown,

I've got a tank set up at school too. It's only an extra 55 gal they had in storage with some saltwater fish, but it'll give me some extra credit also :)

Yeah you can do it for roughly $100 give or take a ten spot.

Let's see..I did it for roughly $104 total.

Ushio 10k 70 watt----$70

ballast-------------------$25

DIY pendant fixture---$10

some odds and ends wire---Free

So, total my setup came to $105.

Hope that helps

Dan

Thanks for the replies. I might be able to get a an electronic ballast for $10, but it would be an actual DIY ballast my friend will make for me. Would it be worth taking the risk to save a few dollars?

P.S., my friend is an electronics expert (he works at a local radio/TV station, and has a program on his computer to actually design ANY electronic system).

100 bucks is cutting it close. What are you trying to grow? you may not need MH. A Reef at school is nice, you may need to be there 6 days a week otherwise disaster.

You can do a 175 SE mogul for cheap if you try, but you would still need a hood to retrofit it in. I posted the cost a few weeks back.

Well, the other set-up I was considering was VHO, but the bulbs are expensive, and I'd probably use at least 4 bulbs (at least $100). I could use a single MH ($80 for the bulb), and get the same or better effect for less money. The reason for setting up a MH system is the same as the 10 gallon I set-up last year: I get an excuse to get more aquarium crap! This is for an Advanced Placement Biology class, so the teacher is always there on Saturdays, so I can get in to work on it. I want to grow Xenia, Montipora, LPS, etc. The reason for MH is tank size: I don't know if it will be 5 or 50 gallons. One of my friends will build a hood for about $5, so that is covered.

Archived