Innovative Marine Aquariums

Water Pressure

bimmerdad

Hi,

I was thinking of getting a RO/DI unit in the near future but I was worried about the water pressure at my house so I had the county come out and check it for me. They checked it from the faucet on the outside of the house and told me that it was 40 PSI with the water of and 30 PSI with the water running.

So my question is, are these pressures enough for an average RO/DI unit?

My plan is to hook it up either in the washroom and have the waste water run into the washer or hook it up to the kitchen faucet.

Also, I went to my local home improvement store to buy a water pressure gauge so I can test my pressures my self but, they only had gauges for like air compressors.

Do any of you have instructions on the parts I would need to build one myself?

Thanks

AZDesertRat

40 psi is pretty much the bare minimum but you should be OK. The 30 psi flowing pressure is with a faucet or other large volume running, a RO uses like a quart a minute so pressure drop is minimal if at all, almost like static pressure.

You want a 0-100 psi pressure gauge exactly like you found at the store but with a hose thread adapter on it so it will screw on to a hose bib or faucet. They will have it in the gardening section by the lawn sprinklers or in the plumbing aisle. It will look like this or you may have to buy the gauge and adapter seperate and screw them together with some teflon tape on the gauge threads.

http://www.bigbrandwater.com/pressuregauge5.html

Once you get the gauge you may find you have higher pressure at different times of the day and night depending on water demands and usage in your area. Often its better to make water overnight while everyone is in bed and pressure is highest.

Archived