Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

bright green algae

BustytheSnowMaam

BustytheSnowMaam

Hi-

Does anyone have suggestions for getting rid of bright green algae (roughly the same color as my green button polyps)? Snails don't touch it, the algae remover magnet doesn't remove it- it's really "sticky". Razor blade? Would a razor scratch the glass? Or does it go away eventually? I've never had any algae before this. My tank is 7 months old.

Tasha

I think this is some kind of calcerous algae. I have some of it growing on the glass in shady areas and where water flow is slowest.

I am looking to buy an algae remover to remove such things from the front glass.

I suppose if you do it carefully, and at the right angle, a razor shouldnt sratch the glass.

I would first try with an old credit card to see if that removes it, if not go ahead with the metal blade.

BustytheSnowMaam

Korbin-

I chalk it up to luck- I don't know what I did to keep the algae at bay this long. Perhaps my snails were able to keep up with it?? Plus I only use RO water and my nitrates are low.

Sahin-

Duh, I didn't think of a credit card. I'll try that.

Thanks-

Tasha

If you don't have any luck with the credit card, go ahead and try the razor. I have always used razors on my glass aquaria and have never seen scratching. Razors work so well, in fact, that when given a choice I will always choose a glass aquarium over acrylic -- just a few swipes with the razor and the glass is clean. No scrubbing!

Archived