Innovative Marine Aquariums

The final version!

lizbeth

After 5 days (not full time :) ) I think I'm finished with the rocks. Lots of hiding holes, lots of  places for corals, and most of the rock in the main tank. You can see the lone brown polyp I was trying to save on the top of the rock. There are all kinds of "reef roaches" running around on the rocks, the 5 gallon has never had these. I'm convinced that a gentle cycle is much better! Now if the paint would ever dry on the hood I'll have real lights!

Final front;

finalfront.JPG

Final back;

finalback.JPG

And the first inhabitant will be the monster mushroom that's taking up way to much room in the 5. You can see how smooshed it its.

squashshroom.JPG

Guest AbSoluTc

lizbeth-

Whats yoru opinion on your filter you have in there?  Do you use that instead of an HOB, or as the primary circulation/filtration?

The story on those little filters is I got two of them and a 10 gallon tank with glass top and light bar at a thrift store for 16 bucks. I've been using them stuffed with quilt battingto clear the water of silt from the Southdown. I really like them, they come completely apart for cleaning. My LFS is using them in nanos.

I'm going to use a Filstar canister for the main circulation and to run media when needed. Plus I'm going to use an Aquaclear HOB with a surface skimmer. I'm going to try it and if it doesn't work out I'll go to powerheads. In addition it will have the overflow from the refuge when I get it set up.

Guest AbSoluTc

I was curious.  I have one myself that was runing in my 7 gal for a bit.  But its too big for a 7.  Just wondering if it clogged alot.

oooooh..... aaaaaah.... very nice lizbeth! can we get a before and after shot (the one you posted during your rage and anger... haha)

Quote: from My Alife 7 on 2:03 am on June 25, 2002[br]oooooh..... aaaaaah.... very nice lizbeth! can we get a before and after shot (the one you posted during your rage and anger... haha)

It wasn't so much rage and anger as it was frustration and disgust! I've done tons of rocks in outdoor landscaping, nothing ever came with this much trouble.

SLO, it's going to be viewable from three sides. It sits inbetween the living room and dining room.

To be honest, I like this aquascaping better, it still utilizes those nooks and cranny's, I'm happy that you have finally found a formation that you are pleased with. Keep us updated on your coral additions!

Don

great aquascaping.  Very tough to do when only one side is visible.  To try and 'scape for three visible sides is a challenge I would rather not think about.  

More importantly, is it the picture or is that mushroom about the size of an adult human hand?

Very nice! Looks good from both sides too! Crakeur is right, it's hard enough to aquascape from one point of view, much less 3!!! You done good!!!

i really like your aquascaping. are you going to make it a multi-view tank by putting corals on the front and back?

Yes, the mushroom is a green stripped one. A local fellow reefer was kind enough to give me two of them (they were over running his tank)! When I went over to get them I saw how huge they were in his tank (some were the size of small plates) but though what the heck they're free. He gave me smaller ones and they've grown. The one that's in the picture was fully expanded after I fed the tank, probably 6 inches across. Not exactly sized for a 5 gallon nano!

Yes, the tank is eventually going to have coarls all the way around.

a reef tank as a room divider, great idea. I think I must try one... looks great too... lots of holes for water circulation and filtration... did you have that in mind while setting it up?  Good job.

Vixyswillie

Cripes, that's purty, lizbeth!! Nice work on the aquascaping. I know you certainly invested plenty of time - as well as wrinkled, scraped up fingers - to get to the end result. Certainly paid off!

Can ya come do mine when I'm ready?? ;)

Archived