ReefCleaners.org

tropic marin bio actif salt review

nikeSB

Here is their discription:

TMC_Bio_active_Salt.jpg

Tropic Marin is introducing another salt mix onto the market with their BIO-ACTIF salt mix. This new synthetic salt is said to promote growth of bioactive substances and provide protection for the mucous membrane of aquarium fish, thereby making your livestock healthier. Corals are affected as well, displaying brighter colors and opening their polyps more.

While making livestock healthier, BIO-ACTIF also promotes the breakdown of pollutants and excess nutrients in the water, leading to superb water clarity. Tropic Marin suggests to perform weekly 15% water changes with this salt mix in order to maximize its effectiveness and promote the breakdown of unwanted “pollutants”.

Below is a list of all of the benefits seen when using Tropic Marin BIO-ACTIF sea salt:

Rapid success in coral growth, even for beginners.

Advanced reef aquarists can grow even very challenging and delicate species which have always been regarded as impossible to keep.

Corals which once seemed incompatible because of their different demands in terms of care can be cared for together, with all species enjoying good growth and ideal conditions. Small polyp and large polyp stony corals can be kept together with leather corals, for example, without their combined care being detrimental to either group.

The low-nutrient environment also allows sponges and complex higher-order algae to grow without running wild, adding their own natural and authentic touch to the indoor reef.

Active control of the pH and carbonate hardness is conducive to the sustained growth of corals, calcareous red algae and other calcifying organisms.

Skimming action for the elimination of contaminants and suspended matter provides a permanent solution to cloudiness, allowing the reef aquarium to shine in full clarity in the most vibrant colours.

I will be tracking any noticable differences I see here for those interested in the salt. I will also list parameters next water change.

@ 1.026 I got these readings

Ca: 440

Alk: 8

Mg: 1430

First impressions after 3 days is the change in clarity of the water. Every time I would look at my tank from a distance, I always saw a slight cloudyness. It would show up in my pictures as a glow. Its now clearer than ever. I was also running carbon before this and it still wasnt as clear as this. My skimmer has also picked up the gunk I use to collect in 1 week. This is with no other variables changed. If anyone else is trying it, please add your experiences here.

So I'm confused, are you saying your water has more clarity now or less?

What salt were you using before?

Did you test to see what the Ca, Alk, and Mg levels were on the fresh mixed salt?

THis is just what I need. I am considering this salt for the 125g. You think it's really good?

cant give a confirmation yet, but its made a noticeable difference in three days

So I'm confused, are you saying your water has more clarity now or less?

What salt were you using before?

Did you test to see what the Ca, Alk, and Mg levels were on the fresh mixed salt?

ah sorry bout that, edited the post. it is clearer now. I was using seachem reef salt.

@ 1.026 I got these

Ca: 440

Alk: 8

Mg: 1430

My current TM Pro Reef salt is running out in a month or so. I'm also going to start using this Bio Actif. On a side note, all of TM's products are nothing less of pure brilliance.

mastahluong

Tagging along with this.

Thanks for the input on my thread. After I pick some up I'll try it out with the microbacter and post back.

ok tested again today

@ 1.026

ca - 460

dkh - 7

mg - 1280

ph - 8.3

I dont know why theres such a big difference from the last mg i tested. I remember reading that the creator of the salt said the mg settles to the bottom but it will eventually be balanced, so next water change i will mix up the salt

by the end of the 2nd week, i saw a difference in some of my sps, not all of them. my colors were already good to begin with but a red planet that ive had for 4 months finally started coloring up. other sps started coloring up also, some of them still look the same. another observation is that the alot of the sand is clumping so im getting a bacteria build up of some sort. the parameters were closer to my 1st tests since i mixed up the package this time around too

this sounds like a very interesting salt mix but i am very interested to see what experience DD H20 users have had from the switch

by the end of the 2nd week, i saw a difference in some of my sps, not all of them. my colors were already good to begin with but a red planet that ive had for 4 months finally started coloring up. other sps started coloring up also, some of them still look the same. another observation is that the alot of the sand is clumping so im getting a bacteria build up of some sort. the parameters were closer to my 1st tests since i mixed up the package this time around too

any more news? please keep us updated.....im using brightwell since i started my new tank 5 months ago and so far everything is doing fine...but i was wondering if bio actif or even D-D could yield better results....my only concern with brightwell is the swings in alkalinity...

• 2 weeks later...
any more news? please keep us updated.....im using brightwell since i started my new tank 5 months ago and so far everything is doing fine...but i was wondering if bio actif or even D-D could yield better results....my only concern with brightwell is the swings in alkalinity...

I love the salt. A couple of weeks in and my corals are really showing signs. Check my member's thread for the pictures. Polyp extension is great and I'm now feeding my 2 wrasses everyday instead of every other day

I want to try this out. Unfortunately, Tropic Marin screwed over my LFS. they got a few pallets of salt and other addatives from them and they game all clumped together and in horrible condition. TM claimed the LFS had improperly stored them (kind of hard to store something when you haven't gotten it yet) and have refused to even give back 50% or extend any sort of refund. So the LFS refuses to buy from them until they either come take a look or extend some sort of refund. It really sucks.

Well you got me on the thread follow train B) hope you dont mind a few questions as i'm still trying to decide what salt to get.

Is there a big price difference between this and other salts you use? and I was also wondering if there was any harmful effects you've noticed to using a bio salt so far :D thanks

Well you got me on the thread follow train B) hope you dont mind a few questions as i'm still trying to decide what salt to get.

Is there a big price difference between this and other salts you use? and I was also wondering if there was any harmful effects you've noticed to using a bio salt so far :D thanks

this salt is a bit more expensive than most other salts. i paid 38$ for a 34 gallon box. i havent seen any harmful effects, none of my corals reacted negatively. no increased algae either. I did see an increase in bacterial films on my glass and rocks

recanting my earlier statement on the TM pro reef. PO4 test kit I was using was way off.

I got a TM PO4 test it and PO4 measured .01.

Had a local shop test and same reading.

I had used an API kit earlier and it measured .5 so not too reliable.

i did not get any readings of phosphate when i tested my mix. I did read about the copper in another thread, but its another of those "not going to affect anything at these levels" thing. The pdf did work as well. I will try to test again for phosphates

i did not get any readings of phosphate when i tested my mix. I did read about the copper in another thread, but its another of those "not going to affect anything at these levels" thing. The pdf did work as well. I will try to test again for phosphates

I mixed this batch about 3 days ago. I pre-mix and do small daily water changes.

I just got a new RO membrane too so I am sure my water is clean. Tests as such.

Definitely a clear reading of .5ppm now with the mixed batch.

I know you might've stated this earlier but what salts have you previously used before? And found favorable/similar results this type. Also have you ever tried the normal tropic marin? Sorry for the questions I'm just getting back into the hobby and soaking it all up like a sponge B):P

never tried the regular tropic marin or pro. I did use instant ocean about 3 years ago and i could never get my parameters right. I then switched to seachem reef salt and i liked the numbers but i had a bad batch and my tank looked like crap for awhile from it

So you've just been using this for a while and lovin the results? I actually was gonna switch to Coralife sorry for the mixup lol. It's just hard to find a dead set for sure salt that everyone seems to agree with and I'm in college right now so for 34g $38 is a little steep lol

i hear you, im in college too and its tough, but if you check my thread, you can see the colors im getting from my sps. to me, i was spending about 1$ per gallon before so I went ahead and made the switch. the 200 gallon bucket is only 99$ though so its a 50c a gallon. I'll be picking up a bucket very soon

Archived