SaltCritters.com

Arash's NANO-CUBE 12G DX

arash53

PH level is around 9!

If that is even close you may have found your problem. I agree with Mricky's point. I would get a handle on stability and make any mods you are going to make in the chambers before you add any more livestock.

Get a good test kit. Take it slow. You won't regret it.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If that is even close you may have found your problem. I agree with Mricky's point. I would get a handle on stability and make any mods you are going to make in the chambers before you add any more livestock.

Get a good test kit. Take it slow. You won't regret it.

What is the best PH level and how can I ajust it?

Here's my quickie advice after seeing that pH level (assuming you live where this is possible):

Take everything out of the filter chambers. You can do some searches on using filter floss for a mechanical filter that you change every week- but I'd rather have nothing back ther than the stuff that comes with a nanocube. Then:

1) Find a high quality local fish store that sells premade ro/di salt water.

2) Get 2 five gallon plastic liter-johns that are drinking water safe and have never been used for anything else.

3) Use a permanent sharpie and mark 1 "salt" and the other "fresh".

4) Go to that store and buy their water, fresh for top-offs and salt for water changes (of course).

****never use these for ANYTHING ELSE but fish tank water and be careful to not mix them up***

Consider getting a new test kit or having the shop do the testing. I agree on the API being a decent value- that's what I use and it always matches the shops.

Then do several large water changes, then test your water again. Keep doing water changes until your parameters are good. The parameters you care about at first are pH (8.0-8.4), salinity (1.020-1.025), and nitrite (0). When you reach these levels add 1 hardy fish and be careful not to overfeed it. Now every week you want to do a water change of 1 to 2 gallons in that 12 gallon tank and test those levels. After a month of doing regular water changes, and assuming the fish is still alive- then test for nitrate (along with everything else mentioned above). Don't be surprised if you have a little nitrate, but if it's less than 20 you can add some mushrooms and keep up the water changes. You may get some brown fuzzy algae- don't worry about it- just keep doing water changes.

Then hit up the boards again in 3 months. There are some excellent posts that give a lot better detail than that and talk about the mixing of water, etc. You should read those, but you'll get yourself back on track faster this way (imho)

Today I bought a API test kit a MAXI JET 900 and a Hydro flo deflector.

Before I swap out the MJ900 with the stock pump I want to make sure MJ900 is not too much for NC12 with very fine sands! any comment on this?

cbandotho is your tank 12gallon as well?

You can also keep numerous LPS corals with this light. Get some once your water is balanced though. My nanocube with stock lights keeps the color of LPS pretty well, too.

A good salt mix is also very important to keep paramaters looking good. I used to use oceanic salt but it lacked KH and magnesium, and now I use pre-mixed D&D. However, dosing may still be necessary. I don't dose, and my KH and mag may be a little low, but my coral dosn't seem to mind.

I too have a mj900 which is alot better with heat. I once had a mj1200 and my temps reached 90 degrees. mj900 is alot better.

Thanks guys, I have installed the MJ900 with Hydro flo and I liked it.

Any one fegured out hoe to fix the JBJ NANO-CUBE 12DX moon light with scheduller? the moon light and day light are on same source?!

I have Chemi-pure elite, purigen, and filter floss in a media basket. Also have a sapphire aquatics nano skimmer in the middle chamber.

I just ordered the bard's media basket, it seems everyone are happy with the product.

decal1.jpg

saltboy are you using same product?

Which product you are using for filter floss walmart's morning glory? I'll check walmart tonight I am in canada I am not sure what can I find here in walmart!

I have tested the water again and here are the result:

PH : 8.3

NO2 : 0

NO3 : 0

NH : 0

I am so confused , My Cerith Snail and Margarita Snail both died!

Since I removed the sponge the water is so cloudy I guess this will fix once I get my media basket and filter floss.

is there any way to temporary put the filter floss without media basket right into the chamber one?

is there any way to temporary put the filter floss without media basket right into the chamber one?

Yes, just roll up a strip of it and throw it in chamber 1. Check it and most likely change it every few days.

Could you guess what could be cause of dead for these snails? just old snails or something is wrong in my tank!?

I was asking about salinity because they can be sensitive to large swings. I will wait for someone with more experience to respond.

I can tell you what someone told me sometime though it is not very satisfying, "Sometimes snails just die".

I just wondering what should be my next step !:)

Your pH was 9 just a couple of days ago and now it is 8.3 - this may be why you are losing snails

How did you get it to drop so fast?

I think someone (mrlcky) gave good advice the other day.

- Take your time getting your perameters undercontrol.

- Do regular water changes.

- Once things are stable and you know you can keep the parameters steady then slowly add some bio load.

- Let your biological filtration catch up and then you can add some more.

I promise it will be worth waiting...much better than spending money to watch things die while you try to get everything figured out. I know it feels like a cliche but it is true that nothing good happens fast in this hobby.

Archived