Top Shelf Aquatics

Emerald Crab Compatibility

bri7795

People,

I was considering on getting an emerald crab from my 20 gallon to help control the bubble algae that it starting to pop up. During my research I have found that they are semi-aggresive and after the bubble is gone to feed supplement thier diet.

Right now I have 1 peppermint shrimp and 1 skunk shrimp. Will the emrald crab pose any damage to the shrimps? Also what do they eat? I assume an algea supplement.

They won't bother each other. I've kept peps and emeralds together. The emerald may or may not eat your bubble algae. Mine did but I know some people have had no luck with it. They are basicly scavengers and will pick at the rocks, and yes, occasionally corals and clams. I always fed mine once a week or so, some of those sinking marine pellets. The hermits and nass snails like those too. Mad dash to see who gets to the pellet first.

When I got mine he settled into the rock work and dug his claws into the sand like he was part of the rocks and was waiting for something. He later came out and was eating some hair algae and whatever else he lifted off the rocks. Next morning my peppermint shrimp was dead right where he was pretending to be part of the rocks. Maybe it was a freak night accident, who knows.

I just got a skunk cleaner shrimp who seems to go and try to bother my emerald crab and when the crab flahes its' claws it swims away quickly. My crab also eats a ton of algae so you would probably and up feeding it. I feed mine freeze dried algae and I may give it algae from my fuge, but since you have a 20 gallon it won't be as bad. I have a 5 gallon.

Archived