Cultivated Reef

Should I invest in a doser?

xgame2k

Or will a 5 gallon water change a week with tropic marin bio-actif be good enough for a Biocube 29 (lps, sps, zoa, clams....)?

Water changes will be enough for the soft corals and zoanthids. When you move onto the hard corals and clams, you will need to monitor calcium and alkalinity and supplement as required. To set up a dosing pump, you need to know what your tank is consuming and therefore already be dosing. Unless you have money to burn, there are better investments at this time than an automated dosing system. If you are serious about clams and sps, you may want to think first about a lighting upgrade.

lakshwadeep

It depends. +1 to first needing a high calcium/alkalinity demand before dosing in the first place. Next, you should see if you can dose by hand without problems. Also, there are many choices for "automatic dosing", including using diluted kalkwasser as part of an automatic top off unit.

lighting is certainly not an issue.

Allrighty then.

Also how should I factor in water changes while using a doser?

lighting is certainly not an issue.

Allrighty then.

Also how should I factor in water changes while using a doser?

You should just make sure the water you use for water changes has your desired levels of calc, alk and mag.

Archived