Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Spotted an aiptasia

Perpetual98

So I'm looking in my cycling 10g tank and I see a new thing growing. I do a search on the forum here and I identify it as an aiptasia (aptasia?) What should I do about it? ShouldI leave it for right now or try to head it off at the pass and get rid of it right away? I don't have a cleanup crew in there yet, but I've got some brown algae growing and a lot of green hair-like algae on the rocks that are closer to the lights.

Kill it....and keep your eye out for more of 'em.

You can buy Joe's Juice, or you could dose it with boiling water...search for aiptasia on this forum..there are lots of methods to kill the nasty buggers.

KariE2B is right, get rid of it ASAP or more will come!

Another method to get rid of them is by kalk injection. Mix up a thick paste, draw it up in a syringe, and give 'em the lethal injection!

The boiling water method is probably more tank-friendly, but at this point you have nothing in the tank that would be affected by the tiny amount of kalk anyways. Killing one aiptaisa with a kalk injection probably wouldn't affect any tanks' inhabitants/chemistry, though.

I had the same problem until I bought two peppermint shrimp. They fixed the problem in a matter of a few days and I have not had a problem since.

Good Luck

I yanked the offender from the tank and haven't seen any sign of him since. I'm keeping my eyes peeled throughout the tank though. What does a juvenile mushroom look like? I've got a real small trumpet looking thing growing from the side of one of my rocks, but it's almost clear. Another aiptasia without the tentacles?

Archived