ReefCleaners.org

My 1/2 gal. SPS tank.

mmelnick

hoe deep is the sand bed gonna be in the end?

There won't be any. I put aragocrete on the entire bottom surface, so frags can grow right up to the "glass".

I'll have a good 6-8" in one of the sections of the sump though.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also very interested in this project. I still can't help but to smile at the concept of the sump being 20x the volume of the display tank, but that is going to make for a very stable pico. Awesome work. :)

lol...this is like the ultimate go all out tank.

Ha. Thanks for my new thread title!

Also very interested in this project. I still can't help but to smile at the concept of the sump being 20x the volume of the display tank, but that is going to make for a very stable pico. Awesome work. :)

It is kind of crazy, but this isn't just a quick experiment. I want to try to keep this tank long term, and really the only way I think that's feasible is to have a sump to add some water volume. Plus where would I even keep a heater in this tank without a sump?

Ha. Thanks for my new thread title!

It is kind of crazy, but this isn't just a quick experiment. I want to try to keep this tank long term, and really the only way I think that's feasible is to have a sump to add some water volume. Plus where would I even keep a heater in this tank without a sump?

good point about the heater.......

Any updates? Pictures of the sump setup?

I'm working on copying you as we speak LOL

You could have a store with all your tanks in your sig

Any updates? Pictures of the sump setup?

I'm working on copying you as we speak LOL

Not yet. The aragocrete will take a few more weeks to cure. So nothing really looks different.

But the sump will be something like the 10 gal sump on my 20H.

1-8.jpg I'll probably add another chamber to keep the macro seperate from the LR though.

Meengineer0128

This is really awesome man. My only question is why???

1/2 gallon isn't much. You are pushing water to a sump??? Just curious why so small.

Meengineer0128
Why? Because he can, that's why.

B)

I asked him there doc. Just curious??? Wanted to know if he was experimenting or just pushing the envelope. Again, I asked the creator of the post. Thank you for your answer though :-P

I asked him there doc. Just curious??? Wanted to know if he was experimenting or just pushing the envelope. Again, I asked the creator of the post. Thank you for your answer though :-P

Well he's right. It is pretty much something along the lines of because I can.

I always hear people saying "you can't keep a reef tank in something so small". That's actually why I set up my 20 gal a couple years ago, and that's gone well. All of the "big tank guys" seem to think that keeping a 20 gal reef is ridiculous, but that's obviously not true, so I wanted to see what I can actually keep long term. And I figured why go with a 5 gal if I'm trying to see what I can and can't do.

Go big (well small in this case) or go home right?

TheUnfocusedOne
This is really awesome man. My only question is why???

1/2 gallon isn't much. You are pushing water to a sump??? Just curious why so small.

Newb... Do you not realize where you are?

Newb... Do you not realize where you are?

Nah, it's a legitimate question. A 1/2 gal mixed reef isn't exactly the standard approach to reefing.

Well my LED driver finally came in the mail from Hong Kong. It's just a cheap 1000ma driver that I got off of e-bay. I think it was $6.99.

DSC_0001-9-1.jpg

I got the LED's soldered together, but they aren't on a heat sink yet, so I just have them held in place with a piece of scotch tape so I could test them out.

DSC_0003-2-1.jpg

DSC_0004.jpg

Now I just need to get a heatsink and retrofit them into that fixture that I'll be using.

FishyFishy!

Lookin good! I'm not brave enough to dip into the DIY LED stuff just yet haha. I'm going to use a small light fixture that can run a large 75W daylight. I think that will be good enough. I also have a blue LED spotlight i'll use for some color.

I'm in the works making an overflow in the back right corner of mine, with a foot long acrylic overflow box with media trays in it down to my 5 gallon sump/fuge.... I think this will work! haha. I have one running of a small red sea nano HOB filter right now that I'm going to compare with. Just too see which one does better lol.

I guess I am crazier than you are because I have the same exact tank and I use it to keep the aiptasia that I remove from my tank but just can't kill. So far I am getting quite a good collection of aiptasia in it but eventualy I will have to...

The only thing I have no problem killing are zoa spiders.

pismo_reefer
The only thing I have no problem killing are zoa spiders.

Amen brudder...

them bastages give me the creeps! :mellow:

• 1 month later...

I finally got this thing out of the toilet (literally) and I'm about to start cycling it with some dry aragocrete that I made a couple years back. I decided to use a 5 gal bucket for the sump though.

Any thought on a good idea for a sump pump? I'm thinking I'll just get the smallest powerhead that's available locally and drop it in the bottom of the sump with a 1/2" line up to the tank. Even 25GPH will come out to a 50X turnover every hour.

Archived