Cultivated Reef

Which MACRO

Chich

getting chaeto :lol:

theres always caulerpa but its invasive and regulated in some states here and maybe down under too. Mangroves are also a good nutrient export option.

edit: spelling

ok,,, thanx guys

but is any macro algae ok or are there some you should just not use in this setup?

lakshwadeep

Some caulerpa species can be hard to control and invasive; however, the fast growth helps with using up nutrients. Chaetomorpha is very useful because it's easy to control.

I would order Chaeto honestly. People use other types of Macro like caulerpa in sump/refugium set ups where the chances are very minimal it will make its way into the display. In a ac 70 set up alot of macro will make its way into the tank so you dont want something that will take over. Plus chaeto wont go sexual on you and die off.

I would order Chaeto honestly. People use other types of Macro like caulerpa in sump/refugium set ups where the chances are very minimal it will make its way into the display. In a ac 70 set up alot of macro will make its way into the tank so you dont want something that will take over. Plus chaeto wont go sexual on you and die off.

Take over?

Why can't you just pull it out if it grows bigger than you like?

Then the nutrients are exported.

I like the look of caulerpa in my tank. Wish I had more. My fish eat it.

I just can't imagine how caulerpa can take over in a nano reef.

Pull it out, and throw it in the back yard. Shrug.

Chaeto looks like green free floating pubic hair in a system or tank.

Caulerpa looks like a marine plant which is supposed to be there.

Oh, One other thing. I will send you a baggy of Chaeto if you pay the shipping if you still need it. There are dozens of other members here who would do the same.

Take over?

Why can't you just pull it out if it grows bigger than you like?

Then the nutrients are exported.

I like the look of caulerpa in my tank. Wish I had more. My fish eat it.

I just can't imagine how caulerpa can take over in a nano reef.

Pull it out, and throw it in the back yard. Shrug.

Chaeto looks like green free floating pubic hair in a system or tank.

Caulerpa looks like a marine plant which is supposed to be there.

Oh, One other thing. I will send you a baggy of Chaeto if you pay the shipping if you still need it. There are dozens of other members here who would do the same.

Lol! I didnt mean to diss on caulerpa! What I meant was that most people run an ac 70 mod on really small tanks...3 gal to 5.5 gal. In tanks of that size there typically arent going to be fish that will eat macro algae. I mean I guess if you like pulling the caulerpa out thats cool, I was just saying that since macro will make its way into your tank with that set up, you might want something that wont spread everywhere.

Thanx for the generosity farkwar but im in Australia...

Dont think we can import any type of plant matter :(

• 2 months later...

If there is a local reef club talk to them about setting up a trade system. You would only need one tank with cheto or any macro. to start, let it grow in some ones tank. They prune & then pass it on. Do it like this for all the macros you can get your hands on. It make take a while to have a large number of tanks supling the members but just look at how the macros on here are spreading.

Guys. He already said he can't get Chaeto, and asked for alternatives. Stop suggesting Chaeto, lol.

Chich, like others said, any Caulerpa sp. would be perfect for your system.

...what about Chaeto?

Aha.

Any way, I'd check out reef cleaners. Not for an order, obviously, but there kind of the go to guys for any refugium/CUC needs. Good for inspiration.

Archived