Innovative Marine Aquariums

Tangs & Surgeonfish: Why you can't keep one in your nano

lgreen

lakshwadeep

+1 to wombat.

One study found that in the wild, surgeonfish (acanthurids), such as the clown tang (Acanthurus lineatus) and the scopas tang (Zebrasoma scopas), can live as long as 40 years (Choat and Axe, 1997). Even in captivity, fish can live a long time. The Nancy Aquarium in France has kept careful records of their fish, and many, from triggers to angels, have lived up to 30 years. This is quite rare for fish kept by hobbyists, however.

Informal talks with hobbyists and fish stores suggest that few fish kept by aquarists live longer than five or six years. Given such a long life in the wild yet such a short one in the hands of hobbyists, we should wonder if there are things we can do to extend the lives of fish in captive reefs.

-Harker, Richard. "The Fish-Friendly Reef Tank." Marine Fish and Reef USA 2003: 116. Print.

• 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Would it be wise to put a sohal, achilles and blonde naso tang together?

How big of a tank?

Sohals are pretty aggressive, Achilles can be a little aggressive, and Nasos are pretty chill.

Either add them all at the same time or add them from least aggressive to most aggressive. Also, getting the more aggressive a bit smaller than then least aggressive could help too.

On another note...

After being in this hobby for 11 years and selling thousands of tangs, I finally purchased my very first tang.

Nothing fancy...just a simple plain yellow tang. It's happily swimming around munching on algae in my 90g tank.

Pics later maybe.

How big of a tank?

Sohals are pretty aggressive, Achilles can be a little aggressive, and Nasos are pretty chill.

Either add them all at the same time or add them from least aggressive to most aggressive. Also, getting the more aggressive a bit smaller than then least aggressive could help too.

On another note...

After being in this hobby for 11 years and selling thousands of tangs, I finally purchased my very first tang.

Nothing fancy...just a simple plain yellow tang. It's happily swimming around munching on algae in my 90g tank.

Pics later maybe.

I am planning on purchasing another tank if I am able to to keep all of them in one tank. How big of a tank would you recommend for all 3 fish? or maybe just 2 of them? I currently have a 80 gallon that is not running, but I know it is too small.

I am planning on purchasing another tank if I am able to to keep all of them in one tank. How big of a tank would you recommend for all 3 fish? or maybe just 2 of them? I currently have a 80 gallon that is not running, but I know it is too small.

A 6ft tank at a minimum, but an 8ft tank would be better if you have the space/can afford it.

Archived