Coral Vue Hydros

Zoa algae treatment

reefer916

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You guys are KILLING me....50 posts and not a single picture!!!!

Lol! Why take a picture when I can say 1000 words :P

LOL..I've gotta break out the camera..Try to get some for you guys tomorrow. They still don't look really hot. Seems like they do better shaded, so they're in the back of my tank shadowed by a powerhead. I'm not sure how it's going to turn out.

this method is good for the green algae that covers the polyps and make them become hardened. You can watch the algae bubble off. This has worked one out of two times for me

all the peroxide does is change the ph of the water, very few times i have seen it damage a zoa. generally i just add peroxide intill the zoa's start to bubble. ive never went as stong as 50/50.

I'd definitely dilute the mixture next time.. Pics will come later this afternoon after I get home from work. Most of the polyps are open right now, but I'd definitely recommend to use a diluted solution. It's been over a week and these guys have seen better days:)

Well after taking a turn for the worse I decided to send them to a watery grave. For a while after the dip they were looking pretty good and one was open and healthy looking. Then algae started growing on them again and one of the polyps developed a blister. They became translucent and started to smell like low tide. I do not know how successful this method is in removing hair algae, but may be good for other types.

Well after taking a turn for the worse I decided to send them to a watery grave. For a while after the dip they were looking pretty good and one was open and healthy looking. Then algae started growing on them again and one of the polyps developed a blister. They became translucent and started to smell like low tide. I do not know how successful this method is in removing hair algae, but may be good for other types.

Sorry Bill that you lost your zoas. Mine are still hanging in there, but still don't look hot. Not ready to give up on them yet..lol I have time today to get some pics as promised once my lights turn on in 52 minutes:) Got some new zoa and paly colonies last night too..

Sorry Bill that you lost your zoas. Mine are still hanging in there, but still don't look hot. Not ready to give up on them yet..lol I have time today to get some pics as promised once my lights turn on in 52 minutes:) Got some new zoa and paly colonies last night too..

haha thanks for your condolences. They were pretty much no namers though so i dont feel that bad. Plus I just picked up some captain americas and chongs bongs yesterday to help deal with the loss :P

haha thanks for your condolences. They were pretty much no namers though so i dont feel that bad. Plus I just picked up some captain americas and chongs bongs yesterday to help deal with the loss :P

:D Sweet, don't have any of those yet.. Here are some pics of my tank and of the poor Spartans. Sorry I couldn't get better pics.

IMG_1627.jpg

They're in the far right top behind the Tubbs Blues..

IMG_1637.jpg

FTS

IMG_1632.jpg

Zoa Garden

IMG_1639.jpg

Let me know what you guys think. Hope I could get the Spartan's to come back, but I think I may have to get some other zoas and palys to help dull the depression too :lol:

briansbelle

i love those aztecs...

i will have to get me some of those soon ;)

once i grow my rastas out and learn to ship maybe we can trade?

on topic, i have had a zoa colony close up on me for 3 weeks , never melt, just close up and then reopen...i say just leave them be and maybe they will come around...

i have also had zoas that had what was thought to be zoa pox and i dipped one frag in furan 2 and left the other alone..the one i dipped died on me and the one i left alone is growing like a weed...it also seemed to heal itself b/c it no longer has any spots...

sometimes it seems to us the best thing to do is treat them, but in most cases it stresses them out and makes them more sucseptible to disease and weakens them ;)

just my .02 ;)

i love those aztecs...

i will have to get me some of those soon ;)

once i grow my rastas out and learn to ship maybe we can trade?

on topic, i have had a zoa colony close up on me for 3 weeks , never melt, just close up and then reopen...i say just leave them be and maybe they will come around...

i have also had zoas that had what was thought to be zoa pox and i dipped one frag in furan 2 and left the other alone..the one i dipped died on me and the one i left alone is growing like a weed...it also seemed to heal itself b/c it no longer has any spots...

sometimes it seems to us the best thing to do is treat them, but in most cases it stresses them out and makes them more sucseptible to disease and weakens them ;)

just my .02 ;)

I definitely agree with you.. I've had colonies that I've dipped die off and others that I left alone they healed themselves. Usually if they look a little sick, just finding a different spot with different flow and light conditions will heal them up. Unfortunately, the Spartan's was different. Tried everything and this was the last resort. I don't even dip after I frag anymore because I think the Coral Revive killed off a bunch of Aztecs I fragged a few months ago.

I need somemore Rastas because I ended up losing mine when I was on vacation. I usually have quite a few Aztecs because they grow like weeds in my tank. Next time I frag I'll pm you. I'm just letting them grow out because I fragged over 20 polyps in a few weeks.

Thanks for your input.

Woah sick tank dude.

Love your zoa selection.

Thanks Bill, it's getting a little crowded these days. I want a little more variety, so when ever you grow those CA's and Chong Bong's out hit me up. Could do some trade:)

It's been about 2 weeks, since I initially gave my Spartan's Pride colony a bath. They still haven't fully recovered and remain partially open. Their skirts are also retracted. I had them underneath my Koralia 2, but I replaced my Koralia's with an MP10 a few days ago. The Spartan's are no longer shaded by the powerhead and are in indirect light on the top tier of my tank. So far they seem to be showing a little improvement after getting somemore light after being shaded for nearly 2 weeks. Hope they survive and color back up.

I probably wouldn't recommend doing a 50/50 bath and start off with 25/75 instead as the other guys stated. It kills all of the algae, but your zoas and palys look like crap too.. I'll keep you posted and try to get more pics later today.

so i did this yesterday with a frag of SC palys that was covered in bryopsis. started out as a 50/50 bath for 5 mins but then turned into a 75/25 peroxide to water bath for another couple mins. so far so good. bryopsis is wilted and lost most of its color. palys look decent, begain to open last night after about 2 hours. i guess we'll see how they fare over the next week or so.

ohh yea my peroxide was 3% i know some people were using 7%

i am also wondering, the guy that suggestred this didnt say what concentration he used... if he used 7% or 3%... might have a drastic effect on what can happen...

yeah right...and when I think that they said in the magazine that zoanthids are not affected by that 50/50% dip. Not affected??? They may regret publishing this as many people will probably kill their coral because of this article.

Glad I did not try that. I went with vitamine C dosing and it worked great for zoa pox.

It's been about 2 weeks, since I initially gave my Spartan's Pride colony a bath. They still haven't fully recovered and remain partially open. Their skirts are also retracted. I had them underneath my Koralia 2, but I replaced my Koralia's with an MP10 a few days ago. The Spartan's are no longer shaded by the powerhead and are in indirect light on the top tier of my tank. So far they seem to be showing a little improvement after getting somemore light after being shaded for nearly 2 weeks. Hope they survive and color back up.

I probably wouldn't recommend doing a 50/50 bath and start off with 25/75 instead as the other guys stated. It kills all of the algae, but your zoas and palys look like crap too.. I'll keep you posted and try to get more pics later today.

I used a 3% Hydrogen Peroxide... Yep, don't believe everything you read because my colony is pretty much gone. There's still a few polyps left, but they look like they're goners. It even killed the healthy polyps that were on there. Oh well, check that one off the list of any kind of treatment.. I felt so bad that I went out and bought myself a nice zoa colony for myself for Father's day.. These will never see a drop of Hydrogen Peroxide...

it may not have been the peroxide that kill's like i said all it does is lower ka which lowers ph, its not some magical potion. the f.d.a has approved it for treating fungus on fish and fish eggs as well as providing an oxygen source for small fish. wild zoa's don't always adapt to tank life easily, mortality rate can be high even with perfect conditions.

it may not have been the peroxide that kill's like i said all it does is lower ka which lowers ph, its not some magical potion. the f.d.a has approved it for treating fungus on fish and fish eggs as well as providing an oxygen source for small fish. wild zoa's don't always adapt to tank life easily, mortality rate can be high even with perfect conditions.

The zoas I did this on were bought off another hobbiest who had been fragging them and attaching them to frag plugs. They were definitely acclimated to tank life as his tank was not the cleanest I have seen. The frag was cured as algae had started growing on the glue he attached the frag with, hence the need for hydrogen peroxide.

I would not recommend this method to anyone, as I would feel bad if their frag died as a result. I also did not see positive results, as the hair algae grew back. Luckily for me it was just a no name cheapo frag I did this to, not something expensive.

Archived