Coral Vue Hydros

Macro in main tank?

darwin604

Well, as my algae battle continues I'm considering maybe throwing a bit of macro into my main tank. I'm looking to buy a 'fuge but the amount the LFS' in my area are asking is ridiculous for a plastic box. I'm thinking of either doing a DIY or using an AC500 to build an algae scrubber 'fuge . . but in the mean time I'm wondering how well it would work to just get a clump of some decent looking macro and fire it into my tank as-is. I'd rather look at a patch of macro in the corner than sludge / algae all over my nano. I'm just wondering how effective this would be and (assuming it will work) - what a good species of macro would be for the job. Something that grows fast (better nutrient export) and looks half decent would probably be ideal.

Anyways, any experiences / comments would be terrific.

d.

EDIT: ps, I've heard of a guy that makes good acrylic 'fuges for a good price on here before but I cant find any info - anyone know where I could find such an item?

If you do that, I would suggest Cheato macro the brillo stuff. This won't attach to anything. Typically, if other macros start kicking in, there is little to no chance that you will be able to control it.

I have grape caulerpa in the main tank of my 2.5g (no 'fuge). Works fine. I am careful to keep the caulerpa in the sand though, so it doesn't attach to the rock and become a pain to control.

People always think it's plastic. Sigh. I guess that means it looks good though.

Archived