Cultivated Reef

The Mini Carpet Clubhouse

sweet<3

So I took the plunge and fragged my first maxi! :scarry:

I fragged it on 8-28 and so far so good!

Horrible before picture but you can at least see the colors:

8-28Before.jpg

Prep:

1.jpg

Victim:

2.jpg

Then there were two:

3.jpg

Iodine Dip:

4.jpg

8-29

Bothhalves.jpg

8-30

8-30.jpg

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah good cut and looking healthy afterward. Should probably be using a razor blade instead of a knife though. The metal on the knife is much thicker then a razor blade and u could risk crushing the nem at the cutting point.

navyman_3703

your photography is just amazing. What camera are you using? How do you make them come out so clear without glare from the glass or camera flash?

firefishbrain

Good cut! And +1 to Paul E. Wog, much cleaner. But warning with razor blades (and xacto knifes for that matter), they need to be boiled first. It sterilizes it, as well as lift the oils put on the blades to prevent them from rusting/oxidizing/whatever off.

Yeah good cut and looking healthy afterward. Should probably be using a razor blade instead of a knife though. The metal on the knife is much thicker then a razor blade and u could risk crushing the nem at the cutting point.

Oh I agree. This nem just came loose and is the only loose one in my tank so it was an impulse cut. I went to grab a razor blade but I guess I had gotten them wet previously because they were rusted. The knife is a cheap one and at the tip it is extremely thin. So I sharpened it up really good and went for it.

So fingers crossed it works out ok!

your photography is just amazing. What camera are you using? How do you make them come out so clear without glare from the glass or camera flash?

Haha I don't think so but thanks! I usually have a really hard time getting decent shots. I have a Canon Rebel XS with I think a 50mm macro lens. If I am taking pictures with the flash, i try to postition myself so that I'm on an angle and the flash doesn't show a glare in the picture. Usually I don't use a flash just the tank lighting. But I'm still learning!

Thanks for the compliment!

Good cut! And +1 to Paul E. Wog, much cleaner. But warning with razor blades (and xacto knifes for that matter), they need to be boiled first. It sterilizes it, as well as lift the oils put on the blades to prevent them from rusting/oxidizing/whatever off.

Ok thanks I never thought about sterilizing them first but that makes sense. Like I said it was an impulse cut and that's all I had laying around! But next time hopefully things will be planned out a little better haha.

I am too lazy to boil a razor blade so I carefully scrub mine with an old toothbrush and dish soap. Then I sterilize it with rubbing alcohol. I also dip the new cuts in seachem reef dip for about 3 mins. Haven't lost one yet.

firefishbrain

That actually sounds like more trouble than boiling. but I guess to each his/her own. I also don't dip... I figure that I have ticked them off enough by slicing them in half, best to just blast them with flow to keep too much slime from building up.

Also, and this is open to anyone (and sorry if I'm hijacking, but it would be interesting for you to take notice) does anyone notice that after propagating the nem, the new healed ones are more colorful, they seem to dull in my tank once they reach a size larger than ~3in in diameter.

Again, great cut!!! now cut more!!! its addictive. =)

That actually sounds like more trouble than boiling. but I guess to each his/her own. I also don't dip... I figure that I have ticked them off enough by slicing them in half, best to just blast them with flow to keep too much slime from building up.

Also, and this is open to anyone (and sorry if I'm hijacking, but it would be interesting for you to take notice) does anyone notice that after propagating the nem, the new healed ones are more colorful, they seem to dull in my tank once they reach a size larger than ~3in in diameter.

I am just too impatient to wait for water to boil when i can have my blade ready in 2 mins i guess :P

As far as seeing more color in the nems that are smaller cuttings goes. That has to do with the pigments being closer together because the nem is not expanding as much as it can and the cells are clustered together in greater density. Whereas the full size uncut nems are expanded in all their glory and the pigments in the cells are more spread out dulling the color.

I am too lazy to boil a razor blade so I carefully scrub mine with an old toothbrush and dish soap. Then I sterilize it with rubbing alcohol. I also dip the new cuts in seachem reef dip for about 3 mins. Haven't lost one yet.

That's good to know =) I watched Kraylen's video on cutting maxis. He did it with a butcher knife and iodine so I just went for it! Haha.

Please hijack away! I want everyone to be able to contribute and learn!

I am just too impatient to wait for water to boil when i can have my blade ready in 2 mins i guess :P

As far as seeing more color in the nems that are smaller cuttings goes. That has to do with the pigments being closer together because the nem is not expanding as much as it can and the cells are clustered together in greater density. Whereas the full size uncut nems are expanded in all their glory and the pigments in the cells are more spread out dulling the color.

I agree =)

• 7 months later...
Dude I'm totally digging those Maxi's! Where did you get them from!?

Thanks! I got them various places haha. I got two from Petco (I know crazy), two from Aquarium in Motion in Corona, one from Reef-a-palooza, and some from Aquatic Warehouse in San Diego. They are still generally overpriced so I have been looking for a cheaper place to buy from =/

• 7 months later...

Archived