My cheap Auto Top off Sytem

TheCurriculum

TheCurriculum

My cheap auto top off system

Dollar store by my house has wide mouth 1 liter water bottles 2 for a buck

Petco Clearance sale airpump rated for 15 gallon tank 2.99

Airline tubing Had left over supply but around 25' for 3 bucks

I did a quick job on it last night to test it out and it worked fine

Pushing the water up over 1 ft for a 3' length. More then enough to account for my 2.5g setup.

I have my float switches on order 15 bucks shipped for 2

http://www.floatswitches.net/

Ordered the switches earlier and already received a conf stating will ship out tonight... goodie goodie goodie

sorry happy thoughts took control

$2 + 2.99 + 3 + 15 + 3(misc parts to mount floats) roughly a 26 dollar DIY.. If you only used 1 float switch under $20

I'm using a 2 float setup because my system will be setup at work and it will be stand alone everyweekend and a constant drip over the weekend would make a nasty mess.

Next step tonight remake the bottle with the lines going through the cap instead of the bottle

CheapAutoTopOff.jpg

I will try and remember to get a pic of the setup and post it

I have this same auto top off system. The only difference is that I power up a small Rio pump to return the water to the tank.

I know this cost more, but it is easy and works great.

Bucker of RO/DI water

Pump turns on when triggered by the auto top off valve

Simple...

Steve-

thats a good system you got going there!

question: that bottle, is it soft or hard? reason i ask is this, would the pressure built up by the air pump expand the bottle such that when the switches turn off the pump, the pressure created by the expanding bottle still push more water up into the tank?

ill be doing something like this soon as well so good to see a nice write up(Y)

Nice. Sounds almost like what I did, and for about the same price. :)

In theory, you could daisy chain two water bottles together to increase capacity. May require a stronger airpump though.

TheCurriculum

Works really well ... I surprised myself on this one... Thk's again to everyone on this board who post their DIY's ... both cheesy and grand because the cheese is grand to some people like me :)

tylernt,

I'm to lazy now to hook two up together, I'll just unscrew the lid and screw in some fresh water via a spare bottle.

b_artman,

?What type of bottle is it?

The bottle is an Aquafina 1 Liter water bottle

Any type bottle will work.. or a milk jug or a 5 gallan jug, just depends on how much room you have for the system.

? does it push more then needed?

yes it does push a little more then is needed due to pressure. I have tested a couple work arounds.

1. small pin holes near top of bottle (this worked on one I tested but I lost pressure to climb up the needed 3 ft (floor to tank)

2. Just add more line (you can always curl up the line)

3. Mine is currently flowing an extra 1.2 seconds (not enough to mater) so I'm still using the second one I made

Here is a couple pictures (Sorry it's 7:30 here and I only have a cheap cheap camera .. so the light is low and the pic quality is poor. in full light the pics are ok..)

Insert Really Bad Pic Now

FullAutoTopOff.jpg

Just remember when doing this to keep the line from the air pump above the water.. 1 short 1 long in the bottle

WaterBottleLid2.jpg

Archived