Coral Vue Hydros

50,000K Iwasaki

Chargerfan

Does anyone have experience with this bulb? I currently have a 15g hex, with pc lighting. I can't fit anymore pc lighting into my hood and would like to replace it with MH. I have a spare 150w Icecap ballast and recently had seen a 50,000k Iwasaki bulb online. The only 150w MH w/medium base appear to be the iwasaki's and the ones that I've seen are the 6,500K, the 10,000k, & the 50,000k. Any advice?

Thanks in advance...

I remember reading somewhere(I think it was on reefcentral) that the 50kk Iwasaki is actually somewhere around 14kk, I believe it was said that a true 50kk would be out of the visible range.

Thanks for the link...wetworx101

bamann345 wrote:

This is true, the 50k bulb is around 14k. It is a very good bulb for a nano, and no actinic is needed!

Thanks! I went ahead and ordered the 50k for my 15 gallon hex from hellolights.

You will be very happy with that bulb Chargerfan - I am the one who uses it in the thread llisted above. It is a beautiful color and hardly puts out any heat.

Mike

Thanks, Mike.. The bulb should be in any day now. Like your hood, I have only one 4 inch fan. I'm relieved to read that it hasn't impacted your temps in your tank.

Rob

Hey Rob,

What's interesting is in the day when my light is on, my temp is actually lower than at night with the light off.

The fan really helps to lower the temp.

The bulb came in yesterday and I installed it last night. I'm very pleased with the results! The corals have that actinic glow without having an actinic lamp. I was worried that a MH lamp over a 15 gallon hex would be too much, but it's not. I'm totally satisfied! :)

Archived