Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

2 part dosing + mag

Bill Nye

I have ESV 2 part and mag. I have two questions and both seem rather nubbish so feel free to laugh as you tell me the answer. When you dose 2 part do you dose as the instructions say which is add alk first and then wait for cloudiness to go away then dose calcium? I have read some people dose Alk at night or before lights go on but if you dose calc at a different time than alk wouldnt your pH and kH lower until you put the Alk in?

Also when do you dose your Mag? At the same time you dose calc?

I have ESV 2 part and mag. I have two questions and both seem rather nubbish so feel free to laugh as you tell me the answer. When you dose 2 part do you dose as the instructions say which is add alk first and then wait for cloudiness to go away then dose calcium? I have read some people dose Alk at night or before lights go on but if you dose calc at a different time than alk wouldnt your pH and kH lower until you put the Alk in?

Also when do you dose your Mag? At the same time you dose calc?

I dose according to the instructions by starting off with Part 1 and waiting 5 minutes then dosing Part 2. I'll also add my Mg and additional Ca maybe 10 minutes after I dose the 2 parts. The Mg helps stablize your Ph and Alk. However, dosing also depends on your particular coral load. Alk is one of the most important indicators, especially when dealing with SPS corals.

I've never done dosing Part 1 in the morning and Part 2 at night. I'm assume that you are correct that it will effect the proper balance. The idea behind dosing is to replenish lost trace elements and stablizing the systems water. I'd assume it would cause Ph and Alk swings, if they aren't dosed properly. However, I could be wrong..

Crazy Tiki

I actually dose Mg first then Alk and CA, pretty much one right after another, in the morning so as no to affect PH. My lights turn on at noon-10pm

Dose per the instructions.. There is a good reason they made the instructions the way they did.

Magnesium I would do seperately from the 2 part personally. They do afftect each other somewhat do making a change to one then the other right after could have differing effects.

Meengineer0128

I agree. Follow the instructions. I also do my Mag before the Part 1&2. I do mine after the lights go out so it is less stressful on the fish.

Thanks for the responses.

I have been dosing mag then waiting a little then dosing alk/calc per instructions as of now. I had done a forum search and it seemed like some were dosing alk during the night separate from when they dose their Calc. I could have been reading it wrong though.

As of now I dont have much in my tank so I only dose to get my levels up to acceptable because im using Instant Ocean salt. I am thinking I should just order a different type of salt and junk the rest of my IO because its annoying to dose just to get normal levels. Anyone have any suggestions on a salt that would bring my calc, alk and mag up to a normal level without dosing untill I get a heavier coral load?

Anyway, I think I am going to start dosing after lights go off as most of you do. Thanks again.

Thanks for the responses.

I have been dosing mag then waiting a little then dosing alk/calc per instructions as of now. I had done a forum search and it seemed like some were dosing alk during the night separate from when they dose their Calc. I could have been reading it wrong though.

As of now I dont have much in my tank so I only dose to get my levels up to acceptable because im using Instant Ocean salt. I am thinking I should just order a different type of salt and junk the rest of my IO because its annoying to dose just to get normal levels. Anyone have any suggestions on a salt that would bring my calc, alk and mag up to a normal level without dosing untill I get a heavier coral load?

Anyway, I think I am going to start dosing after lights go off as most of you do. Thanks again.

I use Reef Crystals, but it seems that the Alk is set at 8, so I do have to buffer it a little to 10 where I keep my tank. However, Ca and Mg are fine.. I've heard good things about Aqua Vitro's Salinity salt, but I've never used it. I'd keep the IO around in the event you ever decide to start a new tank. IO's great for cycling tanks because it's cheap and you don't really need to focus on Ca,Mg, or alk in a brand new tank.

I use Reef Crystals, but it seems that the Alk is set at 8, so I do have to buffer it a little to 10 where I keep my tank. However, Ca and Mg are fine.. I've heard good things about Aqua Vitro's Salinity salt, but I've never used it. I'd keep the IO around in the event you ever decide to start a new tank. IO's great for cycling tanks because it's cheap and you don't really need to focus on Ca,Mg, or alk in a brand new tank.

Lame I was thinking of Reef Crystals but kH of 8 is a little lower than I would like to keep my tank at. I was also looking at Tropic Marin salt I may give that a go.

Archived