SaltCritters.com

just metal halides?

AquaFilly

I'm a little confused with lighting so if someone could help me out, I'd really appreciate it.

Do different types of corals prefer "warmer" lighting like 6500k-10,000k? I've seen a lot of setups where people have 2 metal halides at 6500k-10000k and 2 VHO actinics. I've also seen setups with a wide variety of corals where the only lighting is two 20,000k metal halides. What's everyone's take on this?

If I had two 175w MHs, could I just hook them both up to a 400w ballast? Would I need a certain kind of ballast for this?

So very sorry if this has been posted before. I feel like I'm drowning in the middle of an ocean of information. Great site here, lots of info to be found. ;)

CC

whoa nelly!!! Can you say explosion, fire and mass destruction?

First things first. What size tank? What do you plan on keeping?

That said, here is a bit of information.

Not only do you need to have the right wattage for the bulb (175 ballast for a 175 bulb) But Different bulbs are meant to be run on different ballasts. Not all bulbs run on all ballasts and vice versa.

All Corals will grow in any spectrum from about 5500k to about 30000k (No info yet on the 50k bulbs but I am sure they will work fine) so long as the intensity is there. 5500k Generally give the most growth and the least color and 20k usually give the most color with the least growth. The Key is to get the most intensity while obtaining the most color.

Hehe sorry ;)

I was wondering in general actually. When I first started researching, I was hoping to set up my 90 gallon. I very quickly learned that it'll be WAY too much money to set it up so I have to sell it now. Lighting seems to be the most expensive part of the setup. So now I'm bouncing back and forth between my 20H and 50 gallon. I'm head over heals in love with jdsabin1's 20L. I'd like to keep a bunch of those corals and other kinds once I figure out what I'm doing. I'll start out with the hardier corals first and once I learn more and feel more comfortable, branch off from there.

I guess I was wondering if I could use one 250w 6500k-10000k MH and one 20000k MH in my 50 gallon. This would cut down on the expence a bit.

I have a lot more equipment already for my 20 gal, but if lighting will be a little more simple than I originaly thought, I'd light to go with the 50. Thanks so much for replying! Sorry if I sound a bit scrambled. My brain is throbbing from all this info I've been soaking up! ;)

CC

The only thing with doing one 6500-10kk and one 20kk is that if you separate them(one over each side of the tank) you'll have one side of the tank yellowish white, and the other side blueish ;)

USF

Many people put 2x20k and a 10k in the middle or versa fo better color. I have seen people put 2x250's 10k on either side of a four foot tank and have a 400w 20k for better color right in the middle. the 400 will give good color and spread. There are infinite amount of combinations

Well I guess I'm going to go with the 20H. Hopefully by the time the corals start growing too big for their home, I'll have saved up enough money to transfer them to the 50 gallon.

I'd appreciate it if someone could tell me if this looks like a good setup;

PFO 24inch Parallel Reflector with mogul socket and bracket (holds 1 MH and 2 florescents)

175w MH Icecap ballast

175w 10000k hamilton-ushio MH

Icecap 430 ballast with wiring harness for VHO

2 URI 24in 75w actinic blue VHO

Icecap 4inch smart fan

This totals up to about $450 plus shipping. I'll make a pretty little oak hood to stick it in. Does this look good enough for clams and most corals?

Thanks again!!

edit: Oh! Just wondering. Would the CSL 24inch hood with 10000k powercompact and half actinic be strong enough for most corals? I think it says half 10000k actually. Is this a quality light adequate for a wide array of corals? thanks! ;)

Here's My suggestion. Though I love the VHO look, but for a 20 gallon 5 bills is alot to spend. check this if you insist on VHO.

http://cgi.msn.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?V...3&category=3212

And all you need is the MH bulb. you can ask for two Actinic.

Other wise I think that a 250 SE or even better DE 20k will make it much more simple. then you can use this to upgrade to your 50 with plently of light.

either way you have plenty of light for all clams and corals.

I love the set up, but I just think that it is a bit expensive. Then again nothing flouresces like VHO's.

2x65 PC's are enough for all softies and several SPS's. Some SPS will not hold their color. Maxima and crocea Clams should be placed as close to the light as possible, not on the Sand bed. Derasa, squamies and hippos are fine on the sandbed. If you are into SPS and Clams I would not go for PC's as they are sometimes limiting. I have seen awesome tanks with PC's but that was mostly becuase they had excellent water qulaity and feeding schedules.

Archived