Cultivated Reef

New Beginners Forum

Christopher Marks

Christopher Marks

This forum is set a side for members of the site who are new to nano reef keeping, and would like more more targeted help with begginners topics. Things such as set up questions, cycle questions, etc. should be posted within this forum. This will ensure that beginning hobbyists will get the help they need, and that your questions won't get lost among the other forums.

• 5 months later...

2 1/2 inches of adult fish is the recomended measure by most sites I have been to. This translates to 1 inch of adult fish for every five gallons of marine water.

• 1 month later...
Insecurities101

Hey..I know this is a nano reef site, but I had some questions on running a fish only..This is the setup I had in mind.....

10g tank

Bio-wheel pro 30, because i might want to get a larger tank later

2 15 watt bulbs in a 20 inch hood

100 watt heater

i was thinking of using live sand for the substrate, but please give suggestions

also..I was gong to cycle it with a blue damsel

Any comments...please share.

• 4 weeks later...

Insecure, post this as a thread. You will get the advice you need. Unless you love damsels and want that to be the one and only fish in your tank do not cycle with it. Even if you do, let the tank cycle on it's own and add the damsel to a acceptable enviorment.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
newbiefishgirl

Chris, nice job on the site. Love the new little graphics we get to use !!!

Thanks for having such an informitive site with nice ppl.

take care

- Becky

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hello!

I have a question about corals compatibility. I want to get some Xenias and also a Frogspawn, so I was wondering if I could put both species together on one side of the tank, but on separate LR?

• 2 months later...

hi everyone! i stumbled acrossed this site while doing some research for my next tank set up, i have always had salt water fish however, after seeing the pics on this site of nanoreefs, im SOLD!!i have been out of the fish tank world for about five years, so here is my question(i actually have a lot of questions)do ihave to have a 12 gal tank? is there anyone who makes a 20-40 gal tank?can i put an octopuss in with polyps and sea feathers etc?? what is the best set up for the money right now? thanks for any info 1 p.s. I LOVE THIS WEB SITE!!!!!:P :P

• 1 month later...

hey im new here...i dont have a tank but my boyfriend does and he is a part of this reef site....i would like to learn more about the diffrent things you can do with a tank and every thing else kool like that.... i love to watch how my boyfriend plays with his tank and how hes so happy to have it...he juse broke his mini 7 gallon fish tank and i felt so bad i almost cried...i dont really know how to use this site so if you would like to write me and tell me how to use this site

thanks, reef_gurl.....

• 4 months later...
k0nartis925

i have recently started a 10 gallon tank and i have aobut 7lbs of live rock and 10 lbs of live sand and i have corals growing on my rock and i dont know what any of it is i was wondering if anyone can help me identify what they are?????

Originally posted by bullfish

howdy all Ive got a 10 gal that had goldfish in it for about a year is that going to provide a problem starting a nano reef?

No problem at all.

Originally posted by k0nartis925

i have recently started a 10 gallon tank and i have aobut 7lbs of live rock and 10 lbs of live sand and i have corals growing on my rock and i dont know what any of it is i was wondering if anyone can help me identify what they are?????

Mini feather dusters. Very good to have as they filter the water. They will also increase in population and are found mostly in shaded, low flow areas.

Originally posted by k0nartis925

this one also

Very hard to tell by the picture, but it is either orange coralline, or if it has some dimension to it, it might be an orange sponge. Either way, nice to have.

k0nartis925

kool thanks but i cant get a better picture of it.... when i move the rocks agian i will try to get a better picture of it... i also have alot of grey ship running around at night and all the feater dusters come out also... why is that... and also i have in a crease in one of the rocks and there is a like a clear tube froming with a lil bit a red in them and i tryed to get a good pic of them but i couldnt

Archived