Innovative Marine Aquariums

MH for 20L and/or 30L

mtglore

Hi all.

I am the proud owner of a 6 gallon nano under 32 watt PCs. However, I have been dreaming lately of a longer, larger tank with SPS potential. A 20L (30" long) or a 30L (36" long) comes to mind. In addition, I am ready to make the leap (finally!) into MH with a DIY retofit for one of the above tanks.

My main questions are as follows:

-I want to add some actinic PCs or flourescents to the MH for some blue, but also so I can have them on independent timers for the whole dawn/dusk effect. Given the addition of actinics (say 55 watts, each) what color MH should I strike for? Would 10,000K be OK, or should I go to something with more yellow?

-Would a single MH bulb (with actinic PCs) over a 20L or a 30L suffice? Given the "longness" of the tanks, I am concerned about light dissipation in extreme portions of the aquarium.

-If anyone out there DOES use a single MH bulb for a 20L or 30L (supplemented with actinic or not), what wattage bulb do you use? I was thinking 175W or 250W over the 20L, or 250W over the 30L.

Any input, experience, or other help will be greatly appreciated. I have considered using 2 70W bulbs over the 20L, for example, but I have an empty 55 gallong and 75 gallon in the basement and I plan on upgrading to either in the future (given money and enough space). If I use a 175W or 250W retro on the 20L or 30L, I should be able to used them on the larger tanks when (and if) I upgrade.

Thanks and best wishes,

Michael

Yes, DE's require UV filtering. Use them in a pendant with a UV blocking glass and you should be OK.

Having said that, my Ushio 70W bulb is labelled "UHI70AQ-UVP" and looking at USHIO codes, apparently UVP means "UV protective quartz glass" ... but I don't trust it!

V

Originally posted by mtglore

-If anyone out there DOES use a single MH bulb for a 20L or 30L (supplemented with actinic or not), what wattage bulb do you use?  I was thinking 175W or 250W over the 20L, or 250W over the 30L.

Yes. I have a single, single ended, 250 watt mh over my 20L. No actinic, due to the fact that the bulb is 20k. Since your a DIYer, it costs the same if not cheaper, amount of money to build a 250 than two 70 watters.

Von diggity,

Are there any dark corners in your 20L or does the single 250watt MH have a nice spread. I read somewhere that they can only illuminate a 24" X 24" area...

Well, its in a pretty big , eclipsed, housing, so the light gets thrown further than if it were in a small block shaped pendant. Corners might be kinda iffy, but I don't see a major problem with it, its a good place to grow some softies anyways, and let sps be dominant in the middle. Plus its more intense (even if it ain't spread out super evenly) than 2x70 watters. I'm such a cheap sun of a gun.

Depends on what you want to do with the inhabitants quite frankly. I have two 175 watt 20k XM's over the tank and it illuminates it beautifully without the need for actinics. If I had one over it I would most definitely have dark spots due to the length of the tank.

I wanted SPS and clams so the brighter for me the better.

HTH!

I just got my 250W mini pendant going last night. I held the pendant over several heights and it still gets light to the edges of my 20L no problem. It won't be as intense, which means it will be great for rics, shrooms, montis, etc...

I am using a 20k bulb, it looks great although it isn't broken in yet. I am glad people steered me to 250W. (thanks!))

I'm also planning a 30L with a single 400W PFO MH pendant. I'm going to use a 20kk XM bulb, so I'm hoping that the intensity of the light is enough to provide a good environment in the middle for SPS and Clams, and decent coverage on the ends for softies.

I'm going to set it up and see how it looks. If it's too dark on the ends, I'll probably just build a hood and add some PC lighting to the mix. It would be cool if someone was running a similar setup and had some pics to show what the ends look like. I considered a 29, but I like the extra length of the 30 (plus it's free).

-Rob

Archived