Pod Your Reef

Snails vs Hermits

Guest LudavicoTechnique

Guest LudavicoTechnique

I was wondering everyones opinion on Sails and Hermits? Do you guys/gals find that they do the same work? Is one more efficient than the other? I prefer Hermits, personally, but snails seem more popular. Tell me what you think.

NaNO ReeFiN

Snails IMO are way better then hermits. Name one hermit that can clean your glass... :rolleyes: But hermits are very entertaining to watch... :D

I feel snail do a great job on glass and rocks. but for rocks sand and dead stuff you cant see hermits are the best i think it is 50/50

even tho i hate hermits but ill have to go with hermits. they can get almost everywhere except for the glass. they are faster than snails.

NaNO ReeFiN

Make sure you get plenty of extra shells for those hermits though... Poor snails can't outrun an obsessed shell crazed hermit... :woot:

Joxer the Mighty

I don't like hermits, they eat a lot of beneficial stuff in your sandbed, not to mention snails. I finally got rid of mine when I caught one munching on my mushrooms. One thing I noticed after getting rid of my hermits was that the tank started to get these cool little feather dusters all over the place. I think the hermits had been snacking on them in the past.

IMO snails are way better than the hermits. Snails are like lawn mowers in my tank. I have 8 Astreas and a few other types as well as 4 stomatella.

When I had an outbreak of diatoms, the introduction of the snails resulted in instant mowing of the diatoms and it was gone within a few days.

The hermits can get thier little claws into crevices etc, and thus they are helpful.

I suppose its good to have the variety of cleanup crews, so even though the hermits cant work as good as the snails, I still see a benefit in having them.

Archived