Coral Vue Hydros

10 Gallon-to-be

matthewruno

I was wondering if this was a good setup for a 10 Gallon nano reef...

10 gallon AGA tank

2 36W 10k/Actinic PC lights

AquaClear 300

50W Ebo Jager heater

~100GHP Powerhead

Live Rock

Live Sand

Once everything is cycled, I'd like to have some Ricordia, Zoanthus, and some other soft corals in this tank.

For fish, I'd just like a False Percula Clown.

Does this sound like it would work?

Matthew

If your planning on keeping just soft corals and a false perc in there then that will work out just fine. I kept softies in my 10g for a long time before I upgraded my lights and stuff and I had almost the exact same setup . . 10g, (only) 28w 50/50 pc lighting, ac200. I've had a false perc in my tank as my only fish since the beginning (about a year ago) and I'd recommend them. They seem very hardy and don't bother anything in the tank.

d.

I'd use a smaller filter (AC 150) and a powerhead or 2 to get alternating currents. If you use the AC 300 you probably won't be able to put corals directly under the filter - too much turbulence. Just my .02.

I have an AGA 10g with an AC 150, an azoo mini powerhead, 50 watt heater and 54 watts of PC 50/50. I'm keeping mushrooms, sacrophyton, calustrea, zoos, yellow colony polyps and a purple gorgonian and everything has been doing fine for the past 6 months.

Could one of you explain why many people here say that they are using an aquaclear without the charcole and filter pad?

I browsed just about every page in the beginners forum, but no one ever explains this. Is this use just using it as a refugium & current maker instead of as a filter?

It's my understanding that you just use the filter media & pads when you need to, otherwise you keep them out and just run the filter for current & surface movement. Is this ok to do with no other filter in the tank?

If I were to get the 96W Coralife 50/50 bulb, since it fits on a 10 gallon with a bit of overhang, and situated it so that it was over the tank with the overhang over the filter, would that be better than 72W just over the tank like I would have had? I suppose that this arrangement would allow the filter to work as a refugium, but then would I need to buy another filter to use as a *filter*?

Thanks for the tip on the size of the filter.. =]

Matthew

matt the fiddler

"Is this ok to do with no other filter in the tank?"

if you have liverock, and current in your tank. that is your filter. a natural one.. :)

so yea.. many many many nano reefs here are kickin with only liverock..

now if you add a fuge/.. and some macro algae.. that is another part of natural filtration...

very few nano people make "sumps"- whcih mimmick more a wet dry filter...

some people skim.. some don't.. if you have a high bio load- you might want to consider this down the road... though all your sponges will probably die after you start...

so start there- and then as you expand and upgrade... you will probably get a fuge some where down the road...

so the real filter question is.. how much LR/ LS do you got?

Ah yes.. that is a good question =]

I've been told about a 1-2 lb to 1 gal ratio is what to use, and it seems that many people here are using that.

I guess it really depends on the density of the rock I end up with.

I sure hope it works, because that is pretty much my setup you explained (It's only about a month old). 10G with a 2x36W setup from AHSupply. I got the AQ300 and replaced the impellar with a AQ150, and think the flow with the tube all the way to the right is perfect. Stuck the heater in the AQ, and have two AQ201 powerheads set to a medium flow rate. Cycle finished last weekend, and have only added a couple TINY zoo frags, and a cleaner shrimp today.

matt the fiddler

clownman.. 10 is pretty small to have adult clowns breeding... it is doable- don't get me wrong.. but will be more difficult with that size.. how much experience do you have- is this your first SW tank?

[ie.. things have to be right for them to start spawning.. ]

the reef central clown FAQ is really nice.. some good breeding tips/ etc..

Archived