Pod Your Reef

calcium level jump!

vinhle00

my calcium level jumped sky high after a small water change today. it went from 420 last night to 520+. my tank is a 29 gallon 150w mh with mostly sps and a little lps. alk level is 8dkh. ph looks right and nitrate is 0. some of my corals starting to brown and doesnt look good. what should i do? water change? let it go down on its own? whats the best way. also will the corals make it?

my calcium level jumped sky high after a small water change today. it went from 420 last night to 520+. my tank is a 29 gallon 150w mh with mostly sps and a little lps. alk level is 8dkh. ph looks right and nitrate is 0. some of my corals starting to brown and doesnt look good. what should i do? water change? let it go down on its own? whats the best way. also will the corals make it?

Did you change salt? Did you use additive? I doubt it would randomly jump up. I would do a water change but if its your salt doing it then that wouldnt help the problem.

Is your salt in a bucket?

Good rule of thumb is to roll the bucket of salt or mix it around by hand. This way most of the calcium etc don't stay at the bottom of the bucket since shipping.

Is your salt in a bucket?

Good rule of thumb is to roll the bucket of salt or mix it around by hand. This way most of the calcium etc don't stay at the bottom of the bucket since shipping.

yeah its in a bucket...dang

lakshwadeep

Did you repeat the test with your kit or use a different kit for corroboration? Elevated calcium isn't really harmful unless you start seeing precipitation of calcium carbonate.

Archived