Cultivated Reef

New fish! Strawberry Basslet

jmt

Welp, I got my false perc. a friend! I picked up a strawberry basslet at the LFS today before he could even get it acclimated. They seem to be getting along just fine. Hopefully it will come out of the rockwork long enough for me to get a picture. I think it's a little scared, but the clown lures it out from time to time.

-Justin:)

• 3 weeks later...

10ga. Just make sure you have a lot of live rock. Mine never stops exploring. Also, I heard they may get aggressive as they get older, so be on the lookout. But mine has been peaceful so far.

-Justin

I started my tank (20 gal high) with a Strawberry Basslet and then added a False Perc. about a week later. The got along great, also with 4 turbo's, 4 hermit's, 1 peppermint shrimp, 1 camel back shrimp, 1 emerald green crab. After a while I added a yellow tail damsel. The basslet picked the heck out of it. The yellow tail damsel only lasted the weekend. I found it with it's tail almost gone & laying nearly lifeless on the bottom of the tank. I put some thought in why the strawberry basslet beat up my yellow tail and the only thing i could think of was that there coloring was some what of the same hue. So after a week I add a yellow damsel, a totally different coloring for my clown and basslet. They now all get along get in my small tank, it has been three weeks. Look back i would not put a strawberry basslet in a small tank that has a similar color. I hope this helps.

I had a strawberry basslet for about a week. He was so aggressive toward my percula clown and firefish that I had to take a lot of my rock out and get him out as soon as I could. That was one time consuming and frustrating job.

• 3 weeks later...

Damsels suck anyway. My basslet is now the sole fish in the tank, so let's hope it doesn't pick on anything else I introduce. I will say, that she would chase the clown out of her territory if he got to close. I never saw any nipping or touching tho on her part tho.

EDIT: I am a retard.

-Justin

Archived