Top Shelf Aquatics

mixing torches?...?....

jaguilar

i currently have a purple/brown torch in my tank, and i was wondering if i would be able to add a different torch and keep them together. by 'together', i don't just mean in the same tank, i mean next to each other. the reason i ask is because my lfs has an awesome green torch that i have them holding for me. i want to put them together because i don't really have enough room anywhere else in my tank. i have heard that the euphillia species won't harm one another, and i thought it would be really cool to have a multicolored medley of torches. would this be a bad idea? anyone out there ever pull this one off?.?... i would like for them to look like they were the same animal, but with two different colored tentacles. please advise.... j...

I've had a couple near each other, and from time to time they touched. No big deal. Didn't hurt each other.

Try it and post up some pics. There's more than enough in the euphyllia family that will make a cool display.

thanks all... i went ahead and got the green guy last night, and they're sitting about an inch apart from each other with no ill effects. it actually looks pretty cool, and some of the tentacles are even touching each other. i assume that if there was a problem, one of them would have closed up. i was checking on them all night, and they were both fully extended throughout the night and this morning. i just love them both... i don't have access to a digital camera right now, but i should be able to borrow one this weekend. i'd be happy to show off these bad boys... thanx.... j.....

i know thaty they are in the same genus and arent supossed to sting eachother= but i had a torch and a frogspawn close, the torch stung the Sh$@ out of it and killed it in about 6 hrs....

well, both of mine are torches, so let's hope that doesn't happen to me. but you got me paranoid now, so i want to rush home and check on them... i would think that my chances would be a little better considering that they are both torch corals as opposed to you having a torch and a frogspawn, even though i have seen those two get along for extended periods of time with no problems. i guess it's just a roll of the dice...

J21kickster, your torch must have been psychotic or something: )

I have a torch, branching hammer and frogspawn on the same rock, they are always touching each other and are less than 6 inches away from each other.

I think you should go for it, I didn't hesitate or have a second thought when I first made the "euphyllia colony" and everything has been a-ok for close to a year.

Sometimes their sweepers get entwined, but there is never any damage done, I call it flirting.

"flirting"?.?.?.... what's next, euphyllia orgy?.?... wouldn't that be the coolest thing in the world?!?! imagine that, you could sell torchspawn frags for buku $$$$$.... i would be the first one to pay for one of those freaks of nature... oh well, i guess that's just wishful thinking... it's cool to have an imagination....

Archived