Cultivated Reef

For those of you thinking about using BRASS in or around your tank for anything...

OscarBeast

I just thought I would mention that brass is an alloy of COPPER and zinc. Depending on the type and quality, other trace metals are combined with the alloy as well.

It was mentioned in a thread in Members' Nano Reefs, that someone used brass to hold their refugium on and that they were told by some people at the hardware store that it is safe to use for Aquariums!

i went to the harware store (ACE Hardware) and they told me that its safe for aquarium and its the strongest material for hooking purposes.

I just wanted to let people know that brass is an alloy of copper and zinc! I would hate for someone to go out and buy this stuff for reef use.

P.S. If the guys at fish stores don't know anything about fish, then what makes someone think the guys at the hardware store do!

This has been a public service announcement from your fish friend, OscarBeast!

ouch! he must be talking about me???? hahahaahhaha

fine then..i will cover it up with platic wrape or something so that its waterproof..hahhahaa

but thank you for the information ...!!!! ^_^

heh... yeah kinda makes U wonder why they made brass and copper parts on boats and diving helmets....... let alone iron framed aquariums untill 1965

Archived