inTank Media Baskets

MiniBow 7 Vs. Nano Cube

jasnhrp

I have been studying aquariums for a couple of months now and had decided on getting a JBJ Nano Cube. But recently after looking at all the AGA MiniBow 7 gallon setups, I am really starting to like the look of those setups. I liked the Nano Cube because it looks so clean with no pipes or heaters or anything inside the tank. Also, I want to use the stock equipment at least for a while. Is it possible to use just the MiniBow stock lights with FOWLR? What I would like to keep in the aquarium is 2 percs, a cleaner shrimp, snails and/or crabs. Which of these aquariums would you suggest for me? Also, the Nano Cube setup costs right around $100. What will the Minibow cost me to get everything setup?

I'd get the minibow- if you don't like the look of heaters, pumps, etc., then cut a piece of colored acrylic to fit two inches in from the back of the tank. It'll hide everything and if you are a DIYer you could even drill the acrylic where you think you want your powerheads and then all you see are their output nozzles. The water just falls into the back area from the top and is shot back into the tank with the powerheads.

As for the lights-I'd upgrade to a 1x32 watt PC if you wanted to keep the sleek included hood.

Pricing-Although I didn't set up a Minibow, I'm guessing it'll cost around $100-$150, including the 32 watt PC retrokit. I've also heard complaints about the nanocube.

HTH

aqua_aaron

If I had to chose between the two, I'd pick the minibow . . I think its a great looking little tank and I've heard more gripes about the minibow than the nano cube from fellow reefers.

d.

Love my nanocube, in fact I just bought a second one. Just take out all the filter media and add live rock rubble.

I did add a CSL 32W retrofit to one of them for 56W total.

Thanks everyone.

I think I am going to get the minibow. I went to Petsmart and I really like the way it looks. A question about getting the accessories that I am going to need for it. Is it possible to get a HOB filter that is large enough to put the heater in? Also, if I get a large HOB, will I need to add powerheads, or if the HOB has a high rate of flow, will this be enough? Please give suggestions for the filter and other accessories that I am going to need.

Jason

p_157478.jpg

The 50W Visi-Therm Deluxe Heater is pretty good and it will fit in an AquaClear 300. You can replace the original (300gph) impeller with a smaller one (100gph, 150gph, or 200gph). The 200gph impeller should be enough for the Mini-Bow 7 without an additional powerhead; however, you will have more random currents is you use one of the smaller ones with a powerhead.

p_120114.jpg

I'm new to reefing, but I have returned three vistherms use in freshwater in the last year because they didn't hold a temp or stuck on. Especially if I mounted them horizontal in the tank. My LFS said they have had quite a few of the 25w and 50w, but no problems on the larger ones. I would suggest looking at the 50W Tronic heater. If I remember correctly, they are about the same size as a 50w visitherm and I have had no problems with them so far. Just my two cents.

What about the Whisper power filters? They have an adjustable flow rate. Are these any good? If so, What would be a good size to use for the Minibow 7?

Thanks,

Jason

• 2 weeks later...

Archived