Innovative Marine Aquariums

Pic of my new 20G Tank

mmonette100

Hi All,

Just wanted to share a pic of my new two week old 20g Tank.

Here are the specs:

-20g Custom Starphire glass tank with built-in overflow, drilled at the back with external durso, plummed to my 10 g sump.

-Mag 2 return

-150w SE 50000K 50K Iwasaki MH light with PFO refelctor in standard canopy

-22 lbs Miyake liverock (usually only sold in Germany and Japan)

-100w Ebo-Jager heater

- 4" PFO fan

-30lb Carib Sea Sugar sized sand

Just wanted to add that in person, the 50k iwasaki 150w bulb is almost pure white with just a hint of actinic 03 - not purple like in the picture. I run it on a 150w icecap electronic ballast. It fired on the first shot with no problems. Very happy with that bulb.

FYI, the 50,000K medium base single ended halides by iwasaki have been metered by many to actually be between 15-18,000K. If you ever desire more blue...the bluest bulb around is the Radium Clasic Blue listed at 20,000K...but it is really over 30,000K...estimated to be about 38,000K.

Unfortunate...but this is a DE bulb, and although available in 150watt, like most other 150watt halides it is not a single ended/medium base. The only bulbs available for that socket are this bulb and a couple 6500Ks if I remember right.

Thanks Wetworx...

Yes I would agree, my 50k saki looks like 14-15k in person. Don't know why the camera picks up so much purple. It is an awsome color. Was nervous of going with a halide in such a small hood but with one 4" fan, it doesn't even raise my temp 1 degree!

Do you notice much of a difference with the starphire, and more importantly, is it worth the extra $$$? It is quite a bit more expensive than glass.

Yes, you can see the difference. My back pane of glass is reg glass and my sides and front are starphire. You can definitely see a difference. I think you see the biggest difference when you get into big tanks - that's where starphire gets important due to the thickness of glass.

I am glad however I chose starphire. :)

• 10 months later...

Nice tank, dude. Man, I really want a STarphire glass now...I see them at my LFS main display. Thick as hell, but crystal clear. It's like best of both acrylic and glass worlds: the super clarity of acrylic minus the PITA scratches.

• 3 weeks later...
fastredponycar

That looks really nice. Any pics of the canopy itself and the lighting arrangement under the hood?

Do they sell the complete hood/tank/stand here in the states?

Archived