SaltCritters.com

Maroon clown + True Perc in a single tank

cblack

My fiance and I went to the LFS last night and she saw a maroon clown she really really likes. She has liked maroon clowns/gold stripes (I believe they are the same?) for awhile. I was going to get it for our tank today, but found on live aquaria that they were "semi-aggressive". How do you think a maroon would get along with my existing true percula clownfish?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

I don't actually have these but from what I've heard that would be a bad idea. Maroons get pretty big for clownfish and they are supposed to be the most aggressive of the clownfish. I think your percula would get beat up, maybe even killed. Since the tank is only ten gallon and the general advice is to not put multiple species of clowns together I don't think there would be enough space between the two. (Got most of this from a clownfish forum at reefcentral).

I've seen tanks with multiple types of clowns so I never thought mixing clowns would be a problem. I'll go check out the reefcentral clownfish forum, I didn't no there was one. Thanks for the advice!

my experience in the past w/ maroon clown and a yellow stripe marron clown which are different fish is the are to say the least semi aggresive and in a nano they will not do well with just about any other fish becouse they are like damsel when it comes to being territorial and they are the most aggressive clowns

so would suggest not to mix clowns in a nano becouse the maroon after a few weeks will beat up all other tank mates that aren't crabs or snails maybe leave shrimp alone

Get ready for a war, tried it and now have 2 nano's ! So I guess maby there was an up side. Maroon's are also a little aggressive toward other fish after they host. Good Luck

Archived