Innovative Marine Aquariums

Star Polyp questions

Whitten

Wow after reading all of the other headings on threads I didn't dare post up Star Poly Problems, or help my polyps are dying.

Anyway, I just have some questions that I thought I would bring to the experts. I bought a small mat of green Star Polyps from my LFS, they looked very healthy, and seemed to have good color. It is an hour drive from the lfs to my apt. and everything stayed comfortably in my lap on the way home. upon getting home I immediately took the polyps out of the bag and affixed half of the mat to a small piece of rock using some hot glue per what the guy at the lfs said. Here is my question, since doing that I have not seen the polyps out at all. I want to know if I let them get to dry while I was attaching them to their rock or if they are just slowly adjusting and I have nothing to worry about. The mat is still a good purple color and and even has about two small polyp heads poping out. Another question that I have is do they need high lighting needs and water movement?

Some tank info:

Minibow 2.5 with a an Aqua clear mini, 18 watts of PC light, and weekly water changes. I am currently running Purigen in the HOB, the water temp is steady at 79 degrees.

Did you acclimate them after gluing them to the rock or just plop them into the tank? GSP has a tendancy to take several days to a week to reopen when introduced into the tank. They should be fine. The lighting you have is fine, and they tolerate most water flow, but generally prefer medium to low flow.

Thanks for the help, I moved the clump more twords the light and some have begun to open. I had read that it can take up to around a week to even three, but still I am new and find myself worried about my husbandry techniques. I guess everyone just kinda do that. I took the clump out of the store bag and then pated it dry. I then glued it on and reweted it with the stor water, and placed the clump in my tank.

You probably should have acclimated it a little more slowly after gluing it, but GSP's are really hardy so it could be okay. It can take a couple of weeks before the polyps poke out so you just have to be patient. Once acclimated and happy they grow like mad.

Well after some advice from and expert I moved my tank around. I was having issues with hazzy water, and amonia spikes. I realized that my mushrooms needed to be away from the flow and the light, and my polyps need just the opposite so now everying is set up right. I just hope that everything settles after I do my 50 % water change tonight.

What is causing the ammonia spikes and how long has the tank been set up? You really need to find out the source that is causing the ammonia.

Please tell me you aren't adding corals to a tank that isn't fully cycled yet. Those corals shouldn't be inthe tank if your water params are out of whack. Death sentence.

The tank has been set up for about three months now with very normal Params. I didn't even add anything to the tank up until last week. I have been reading that some corals will release a toxin into the water when they are trying to compete with others corals, and I think that is what happend. Sadly one of my snails died for no reason last week, to which I drug him out of the tank before adding anything else. My ammonia seems to no prob now, as my ammonia alert deal has gone back to bright yellow. I would never add anything to a tank knowingly if there was a problem. I am very vigient about my tank due to it's size and keeping up with it is an absolute must if it is to survive. Everything is look good now, save for one coral who still has his innerds exuded out of his mouth. I think in time he will level off though, he has oppened today and looks very much better. My star polyps are all almost open. so preatty.

as for me its been 4 months since I've introduced my GSP but they never opened. I don't think they ever will =(

Is it okay if I just leave them in the tank? Will their die off cause a lot of nitrates into the tank?

Well from what I have seen, they require alot of light and water flow.....but I put some in my friends 10 gallon that has a 10 watt NO light, and a skilter 250 and the dang things opened more than the ones under my PC's

• 2 weeks later...

Well that is great news. I am sure that they will thrive again. Sounds like to me that you got some bum polyps from the store. No mater they will tak over you tank in due time.

GSP do NOT need a lot of light. They are very hardy and do well in a variety of ocndidtions. I have a rock the size of 2 fists covered in GSP that started out as a mate roughly 2 inches square. My GSP is in a 6 gallon eclipse with 18 watts of 50/50 CF lighting. They do like a lot of water current and tend to grow in the direction of the current.

Do you have hermits in your tank?? If you do, they might be a cause. Since you said you had an ammonia spike, they could be picking at algae on your mat.

Archived