SaltCritters.com

Need help - is this a bad anenome?

Genesis

This is something I have recently discovered in my tank, actually at least 4 of them. The picture is off the internet from someone trying to get an ID, but it looks exactly like mine.

When it closes up it is a bright pink, first thought it was a mushroom, than it started opening and the tentacles popped out.

Any ideas on this?

post-48568-1274407881_thumb.jpg

Ball anemone, they are cool :D

Are they safe in the tank?

I love those things.

They are pretty colorful when they are closed up.

I have a few and spot feed them with mysis along with my other corals. Thay are AWESOME!!

So I have at least 3 different posters who think these are great...guess I can quit worrying.

Pseudocorynactis

Pseudocorynactis spp. are like Corynactis but are much larger (to about six inches (15 cm) diameter, and usually not colonial. They also reproduce by fission, but it is unusual to find more than about six clones together as a group. The so-called orange ball anemones that can be observed on coral reefs at night are Pseudocorynactis spp. The column varies in color from cryptic shades of brown to orange, red and magenta. The tips of the tentacles are commonly bright orange, but they can also be white. These tentacle tips are extremely sticky, like flypaper, due to the presence of powerful nematocysts. This fact makes the larger species from the Indo Pacific region unsuitable for aquariums housing fishes, which they readily capture. They also can catch mobile invertebrates such as shrimps and snails, and sometimes "attack" sessile invertebrates growing on adjacent rocks, enveloping them in the gastric cavity through a widely opened mouth. Pseudocorynactis spp. can be fed daily, but only require twice weekly feeding to keep them healthy. If they are not fed frequently enough, they shrink. There is a marked behavioral difference between the common Caribbean and Indo-Pacific species.

The Caribbean species, Pseudocorynactis caribbaeorum mainly opens its tentacles at night, and closes rapidly when it senses light. The Indo-Pacific species remains open both day and night, and is not sensitive to light. The presence of food smells (dissolved amino acids) in the water stimulates either species to open up and extend the tentacles, and the caribbean species can be trained to open in the light by feeding it during daylight hours. The mechanism for its apparent memory is not known.

Whether you have a large reef aquarium or a simple small aquarium, any of the corallimorphs can be easily maintained and enjoyed for decades.

Content used from

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/oct2002/invert.htm

Pseudocorynactis

Pseudocorynactis spp. are like Corynactis but are much larger (to about six inches (15 cm) diameter, and usually not colonial. They also reproduce by fission, but it is unusual to find more than about six clones together as a group. The so-called orange ball anemones that can be observed on coral reefs at night are Pseudocorynactis spp. The column varies in color from cryptic shades of brown to orange, red and magenta. The tips of the tentacles are commonly bright orange, but they can also be white. These tentacle tips are extremely sticky, like flypaper, due to the presence of powerful nematocysts. This fact makes the larger species from the Indo Pacific region unsuitable for aquariums housing fishes, which they readily capture. They also can catch mobile invertebrates such as shrimps and snails, and sometimes "attack" sessile invertebrates growing on adjacent rocks, enveloping them in the gastric cavity through a widely opened mouth. Pseudocorynactis spp. can be fed daily, but only require twice weekly feeding to keep them healthy. If they are not fed frequently enough, they shrink. There is a marked behavioral difference between the common Caribbean and Indo-Pacific species.

The Caribbean species, Pseudocorynactis caribbaeorum mainly opens its tentacles at night, and closes rapidly when it senses light. The Indo-Pacific species remains open both day and night, and is not sensitive to light. The presence of food smells (dissolved amino acids) in the water stimulates either species to open up and extend the tentacles, and the caribbean species can be trained to open in the light by feeding it during daylight hours. The mechanism for its apparent memory is not known.

Whether you have a large reef aquarium or a simple small aquarium, any of the corallimorphs can be easily maintained and enjoyed for decades.

Content used from

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/oct2002/invert.htm

I typically kill them cause they have a crazy sting from what Ive heard. I have like 20 of them in my tank though so I just kill the ones where I plan to put coral in the near future.

Okay, so how do I kill them?

In the last 2 days I have discovered 4 or 5 of them and my tank is only 10 gal. I don't have enough room for them and my corals.

UGH these are not psuedocorynactis. These are corynactis. They will stay small, they will not eat your fish. If you don't want it sale the rock its on don't kill it. I'm sure someone will buy it.

This is a psuedocorynactis

lg-122309-257a.jpg

Another note from what I've seen the corynactis do not have the stinging power of hte psuedocorynactis so there is no reason to kill them without proof that they are actually hurting something in your tank.

UGH these are not psuedocorynactis. These are corynactis. They will stay small, they will not eat your fish. If you don't want it sale the rock its on don't kill it. I'm sure someone will buy it.

This is a psuedocorynactis

lg-122309-257a.jpg

Another note from what I've seen the corynactis do not have the stinging power of hte psuedocorynactis so there is no reason to kill them without proof that they are actually hurting something in your tank.

It is definitely not the psuedocorynactis. They are extremely small, so I will take your advice and see if they seem to have any affect on any of the corals they are near.

Thanks to all for the help.

Thank you and your welcome.

I'm glad to see the are becoming more common in the hobby. We have been trying to find some locally for awhile. One LFS had some, but they refused to sale them, until they sold them to someone other than us. <_<. I think they are really cool creatures.

carbon-mantis

I'm fairly sure the species pictured above is from the pacific. The ones we pick up all the time, mostly on rock from Florida, are described my many sites as "pseudocorynactis caribbeorum" . At least, this is what I've gathered from most sites I've seen them mentioned on.

cheryl jordan
I'm fairly sure the species pictured above is from the pacific. The ones we pick up all the time, mostly on rock from Florida, are described my many sites as "pseudocorynactis caribbeorum" . At least, this is what I've gathered from most sites I've seen them mentioned on.

Yes to this.

Okay, so how do I kill them?

In the last 2 days I have discovered 4 or 5 of them and my tank is only 10 gal. I don't have enough room for them and my corals.

I kill them by squirting boiling distilled water on them with a syringe.

You should feed them.

I found one about 6 months into setting up my tank. I started feeding it and it got about 1" across. It also reproduced and I had a little colony going. Then oddly enough they all started melting away for no reason that I could ascertain. So good luck with yours.

Archived