Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Tissue retreat

Reefmaniac

I just bought a green bubble coral last week, and since then, it has never fully opened up in my tank. It was fully expanded in the store. I have also noticed that the tissue around the edges of the skeleton has some holes in it and appears to be retreating. I never experienced this in my previous tank...when I had something die, it usually turned to goo. I am adding Liquid Gold, calcium, barium, strontium and iodine on a regular basis. SG is 1.023. No ammonia, nitrite or nitrate. The tank has been cycled for about 3 weeks. I change water on a weekly basis...about 2 gallons. Liquid Gold is a vitamin supplement that Albert Theil created years ago...I used it in my old 75, with great results (Coralife sells it now). When I first started 10 years ago, the advice was to supplement iodine, barium and strontium in addition to your calcium. So, that is why I dose those. I use Reef Crystals, generally, but am getting ready to switch to the Kent reef salt. Keeping in mind that this is a 20 gallon tank, I have 2x75 watt VHOs (1 actinic blue, 1 actinic white). I ran the same kinds of lights on my old tank, without any problem.

I have a Coral Beauty, Green Chromis, False Perc and a small SPS frag. The store had it for about a month or so, and he direct fed. I have only had it for a week, tomorrow. Is there anything that I can do to try and save the coral or am I just SOL? Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

I agree; especially with iodine. If you do weekly water changes, most of the trace elements take awhile to be used up. The only thing you really need to worry about is calcium and magnesium. I wouldn't even add those without checking the water first. Stop all dosing until you test the water and find out what the chemistry of the water really is. Too much of anything in a nano can cause a catastrophe. Good luck.

Archived