Pod Your Reef

Help, I'm a emreld crab killer!!!

Nina

Over the past 8 monthes I have tried to keep emrelds and they only make it one month TOPS. :( I have blue leggs, snails, and a pepermint. There all fine. Corals are great, I'm going to test some h20 in a min to see whats going on there, but every time one had died my water has been fine before. This is the 4th one I've found belly up! I havent tried a crab in 3 monthes and this one only made it a week. Any sugestion on something else in the water that might be killing them?

If you don't have alot of algae in the tank.....they're starving! Formula 1 is for "meat eaters" maybe try some Formula 2 (more veggie matter) or nori.

hmmmm, i doubt very much if they are starving. certainly not in less than a month. if there is LR in the tank an emerald will find something to eat. nina said the last one died in a week, no way an emerald starves in a week. plus they will eat formula 1. crabs are omnivores not herbivores. mine gladly take fish flakes or crab pellets.

more than likely it is an acclimation problem. or maybe a bad supply? personally i would keep trying until one lived. i like them to much.

nalbar

Originally posted by nalbar

personally i would keep trying until one lived. i like them to much.

nalbar

Well, you can't like them that much if you are willing to sign there death warrants over and over again! Obviously, there is something wrong. Adding new ones won't help and is just cruel. Have you asked your lfs? Maybe have them check your water.

I test my water weekly and doubble check it with LFS testing too. I have alot of algea and the acclimation was an hr process. I'm not trying to be the crab grim reaper, thats why its been 3 monthes since my last crab attempt. Maby it is just Karma.

I hear over and over again about animal cruelty on this site, and I am begining to get sick of it. If you want cruelty try taking a wild animal and shoving it in a small confined space with strange non natural water perameters, and movement issues. Seriously how can we all complain about how it is cruel to do one thing or the next if half of the stuff in our tank was swimming in the ocean last week.

So...here is what I propose, try another until you get one to live. Maybe by some far stretch you are finding moltings that look alot like dead animals. I'll tell ya, I have a 2.5 with an emerald that I about gave up on for dead. Well...last week guess who peeked his weary green head out of the cave? Yup you guessed it. And if they are dying, I have no problem with you continuing to try and get one to live. After all they are gonna die whether they are in a pet store or in your aquarium it is all a matter of time. I have full confidence that you will get to the bottom of the matter. So remeber if mine can live in a 2.5 for a month without me vouluntarily feeding it yours are probly not starving. Good luck and keep us posted.

I hear over and over again about animal cruelty on this site, and I am begining to get sick of it. If you want cruelty try tanking a wild animal an shoving it in a small confined space with strange non natural water perameters, and movement issues. Seriously how can we all ***** about how it is cruel to do one thing or the next if half of the stuff in our tank was swimming in the ocean last week.

So...here is what I propose, try another until you get one to live. Maybe by some far stretch you are finding moltings that look alot like dead animals. I'll tell ya, I have a 2.5 with an emerald that I about gave up on for dead. Well...last week guess who peeked his weary green head out of the cave? Yup you guessed it. And if they are dying, I have no problem with you continuing to try and get one to live. After all they are gonna die whether they are in a pet store or in your aquarium it is all a matter of time. I have full confidence that you will get to the bottom of the matter. So remeber if mine can live in a 2.5 for a month without me vouluntarily feeding it yours are probly not starving. Good luck and keep us posted.

Low and behold that little terd did molt! I guess I was just so used to them dying.... The wierd thing is that there was what looked like flesh inside the shell when I poped it open to see if it was a molt. Either way I'm happy, :)

and thanks whitten for putting into words what i could not.

one thing i find funny is how some put a higher particular value over one animal than another. for instance, attempting to keep a mandarin is 'bad', but feeding starfish to shrimp is 'ok'. all animals have equal value, and only how many of that particular animal exist changes that. some of the same people who complain about the death of a fish in a tank will enjoy lobster for dinner.

the fact is if you can own it you can kill it if you want. if i want to pluck my sexy shrimp from my tank and boil them up for dinner it is my business.

nalbar

Archived