Cultivated Reef

How dangerous is MH light leaking from vent holes?

Vincerama

OK, I finally connected my ballast to my 70W Ushio MH, and mounted it in the Regent pendant. I have yet to mount it, but I DID drill a bunch of vent holes in it. Particularly on the top, the front and the sides (this pendant has vents in the back already).

I was paranoid about it overheating...

So I plugged it in and (thankfully!) it fired right up! But as I was checking it out, I noticed that quite a bit of light leaked out of the vent holes, even though they are on the other side of the hammertone reflector.

My question is...how dangerous is it to have that light (not direct) leaking out of the pendant, if people are looking at the tank, or even in that general direction? Should I cover up the vent holes I added to the front and side? (The side is more direct, since the reflector does not cover those holes)

If necessary, I will fill the holes in with some JB Weld. Or else I could build (ugh) a new maga tall canopy that would be like an "outer pendant".

Any thoughts? I'd rather risk overheating the pendant than risk going blind! (Yes, I know that nobody is really an expert and we can only offer opinions!) Does anybody else run the pendant without adding extra venting?

Thanks!

V

The light coming through your vent holes has bounced off of so many surfaces before it shines through the top of your hood that its harmless to anyone viewing your tank, I wouldnt worry about it. The only time that light is bad for you is if your looking directly at the bulb itself (provided its a DE bulb) because they have no outer quartz casing that filters out the radiation emminating from them. Of course, I wouldnt go staring at ANY Metal Halide bulb (DE or not) for very long. :)

vincerama,

If you're using DE bulbs, and light is coming out of the vented holes you created, without passing through a UV lens, I wouldn't take the chance. No matter how many times its reflected, if the light coming out of it doesn't pass through a uv lens, that's bad news to me. Why risk your eyes. You only have one set of eyes for the rest of your life.

It's not a problem. just don't stare at the bulb/light directly for long periods of time and you will be just fine! Just let me ask you this. How often are you outside in the summer and under full sun without sunglasses on during the day??? there is WAY more UVa and UVb outside then you'll EVER get from the little pendant hanging over your tank.

I have 500 watts of Metal halide lighting over my 90 gallon and I do maintenance daily with the canopy open and those lights hitting my right in the face. They have for going on 9 years now..and I am happy to say at my last eye appointment my eyesight is still happily at 20/15

Dan ;)

matt the fiddler

even if you don't look at it is is inderect UV.

UV damage is slow and really bad when it gets abd enough to notice.. 20 years away. [very similiar to loud noise exposure- small amounts of 120 DB a day can hurt your ears ... why loud noise job people wear earplugs ]-

just how big are these holes? is the bulb shining through them directly?

for health and the somewhat ignored hazzards of the UV. i would say it is worht the investment to cover the holes. what if not no worry, if they damage from long term small dosages of exposure it is your eyesight we are talkign about....

not trying to scare.. just trying to protect what is an aquarium if you can't see it?

hmm

The drill bit was about a 1/4" I believe. THe ones in front are behind the reflector and the ones on the side are mostly hidden by the ceramic bulb holders.

I think I will cover up the holes in front and on the side, just for paranoia, but I'll leave the ones that I put on the top and the ones that came with the fixture, which are on the back.

V

Yes, that is why I put the holes there...then I became paranoid when I turned on the pendant for the first time. Man, it is BRIGHT!

I will likely just cover the holes on the inside with a layer of aluminum foil. Actually, since the reflector inside the pendant (regent halogen fixture) does not cover the ends, I'm going to use foil to make the white side reflective (So the light reflects down from 4 sides, not just two). Is the pendant does get too hot (how can you tell if it's too hot?) I will prick the foil with a toothpick. I also have 2 power supply heatsinks that I might just screw into the pendant housing. I used a computer case powersupply as a ballast housing so I salvaged some bits from the electronics.

Hopefully, I will have it up by the end of the weekend!

V

I think your over reacting, Unless your getting a beam shooting you straight in the eye I wouldn't worry about it.

Oh and if you guys didn't know Vincerama spends his days as a Heli-Arc Welder in a boat yard. They call him the Maskless wonder.

Originally posted by brahm

and if you guys didn't know Vincerama spends his days as a Heli-Arc Welder in a boat yard. They call him the Maskless wonder.

MH is nothing compared to the plasma-arc of any welding outfit (my gandpa is an ex-boilermaker, he also taught me hoe to arc-weld.) The way you can tell a MH is to hot is done like this: step1.) Take a Large fryingpan or skillet. step2.) place on fixture. step 3.) cook a meal. If the food is perfect, time for some fans!

Now that's Funny! LMAO!!!:):P :P :):D :D :woot: :woot:

Seriously...I weld too at my workplace...I use just a standard MIG unit, and I weld wearing just a T-shirt...I get home at night, and I literally have a farmers tan where my sleeve stops..as the light from the welding give my arm a nice tan.

Dan

Archived