Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

need advice on new nano setup

highrpm

I currently have an eclipse 6 setup as a nano tank. I want to move to a 10/15/20 gallon with any where from 2 - 4 36W PC's.

My major question/issue is filtration.

I don't really want any filters hanging off the back, so my two options are this:

1. build an internal sump using plexi-glass

2. just use the live rock/sand, and 2-3 small power heads

What are your thoughts/opinions?

by the way - I am new to this board, long time member of reefs.org, but traffic has gotten really slow there. Been watching this site, and like what I see/advice I read.

Thanks in advance for any help/ideas.

Just go natural! Skip the filters and go LR/LS as it's the only filtration you'll need. I use an AC200 without media for circulation purposes (along w/ a Rio90). This could easily be replaced with another powerhead, but I like to have the HOB compartment for dosing. It also comes in handy if I want to run floss or carbon every now and then for whatever reason. Welcome to the board!

Welcome to the board.

You'll be pleasd to hear that I am running a 24G tank with lots of LR and a DSB.

have a look at my website for further info on my setup.

I do have a skimmer, but IMO the tank can go without it. Its not that efficient anyway.

There are many poeple on this board who have tanks that rely simply on LR and LS for filtration. And weekly water changes.

I only opted for the skimmer as I didnt want to do weekly water changes, I prefer doing two weekly water changes.

NaNO ReeFiN

NOW BACK TO THIS MEMBER'S QUESTION:

Originally posted by highrpm

I currently have an eclipse 6 setup as a nano tank. I want to move to a 10/15/20 gallon with any where from 2 - 4 36W PC's.

My major question/issue is filtration.

I don't really want any filters hanging off the back, so my two options are this:

1. build an internal sump using plexi-glass  

2. just use the live rock/sand, and 2-3 small power heads

What are your thoughts/opinions?

by the way -  I am new to this board, long time member of reefs.org, but traffic has gotten really slow there. Been watching this site, and like what I see/advice I read.  

Thanks in advance for any help/ideas.

ill have to go with #2. just curious, why dont you want something hanging off the back of your tank which tank and lighting set up are you gonna use? you listed several options...if you do decide to select a 20 gal tank. dont use 36w, use 55w.

I use a 20 gal high with 2 65w pc (hob ref. for plants to control alge.) and lr/ls. that is it

chris sell a perfect hood for 20 high I am pleased with this product.

Here is a pic oh i got 2 powerheads for cir. also

thanks for all the replys.

I think I am going to go with a 15 or 20 gallon, 2-3 small power heads. I just prefer to not have anything hanging on the back of the tank. The tank will be situated so that I feel it would be unsightly.

I think I am going to go with 4 36W pc's due to cost (40.00 per set)

Archived