Pod Your Reef

Just For Fun! - My Shark Cage

rockhead01

Meengineer0128
I'm glad to see so many shark enthusiasts! I love sharks, my favorite are tigers.

Not sure if I mention this, but we do this in New Jersey. Jersey has lots of sharks!

Wasn't it a tiger shark off the coast of Jersey that killed a bunch of people in the early 1900's that inspired Jaws????

rockhead01
Wasn't it a tiger shark off the coast of Jersey that killed a bunch of people in the early 1900's that inspired Jaws????

Matawan Creek

Actually they think it was 2 sharks. A bull up the creek and a white out at the ocean.

There's a show on Animal Planet- River Monsters, I think- that recently had an episode about sharks coming inland up Rivers, and I believe it was Bull Sharks that they talked about who were doing it.

Some of them were coming pretty far inland.

If you are going to dive with Whites, definately go to Isla Guadalupe (MX). Has nothing to do with location, its visibility. In Guadalupe you routinely have 80+ foot visibility. To answer you next question, yes they do still have to bait the water. Only downsides of Guadalupe is you aren't dealing with full-grown adults and its a trip that will require 4-5 days minimum, but that being said, a 12-14ft Great White is still an impressive sight.

Farallon Islands (USA) are generally crap. Federal regulations prevent chumming of the water (by dive operators, researchers can to a limited extent) and visibility on a good day is 15-20ft. Basically means even if one were to come by the cage it would have to get real close. On the bright side, the population of the Farallons are large, mature adults. 15ft+ is the norm. Can also be done in a single day. Also, your always guaranteed to see some Humpbacks breaching or other cool sight while en route, too and from the islands.

Dyer Island/Channel (SA) can be hit or miss. Visibility is generally a lot better than the Farallons (in the range of 30-40ft on a good day), but weather can be rough. Also, it's only a couple miles from the shore so its an easy one-day trip, and dive rates are dirt cheap when compared to Guadalupe or the Farallons. Bonus is if you go there in the early morning you might get lucky and see a few surface chases or even a breach. Population is a mix between full-grown adults and sub-adults.

Port Lincoln (AUS) is generally pretty good. Visibility is generally in the range of 40ft and the Whites are again adults and sub-adults. In fact, the South Africa and Aussie Whites are the same population, they migrate between the two points. Downside is its not a trip that can be done in a single day, generally 3-4 days minimum.

Now there is also a congregation area for the Northern California population about half-way from San Francisco to Hawaii. Problem is accessability (distance) and the fact that the water depth at the location is in exess of 1,000 feet.

...and yes, I have been to all 4 locales. Did my master's thesis at UC-Santa Cruz on White Shark Hierarchy/Dominance on Elephant Seal kills in the Farallons...and yes, I do know that just because a shark is in the vicinity doesn't mean it will attack, but you also shouldn't tempt fate. Google the name "Timothy Treadwell" for reference.

FYI: some people consider Ocean Whitetips as the most dangerous, followed by either Bulls or Tigers, then Great Whites.

No one ever hears about Whitetips because attacks are usually far out to sea, resulting from shipwrecks, crashes, etc...with few survivors (most-famous sinking of the Indianapolis). Bulls and Tigers are a close second because both frequent areas that swimmers enjoy (warm, tropical water or even freshwater). Whites just because their sheer size, but they prefer cold, rough water.

I'm not going to address the personal attacks, but we'll just say that in the past year I've been to four separate continents and english is not my first (or second or even third) language.

It's just that in all my years of diving and "playing" with Whites, I have never come across anyone who takes people out on white shark (or even tiger shark) free dives legitimately. Under-the-table, yes, but hard to find.

Interestingly, last September we came across several Bull Sharks in the Blue Hole in Belize and no one said a word.

You're in New Jersey, awesome, there are some big Whites off of Montauk.

There's a show on Animal Planet- River Monsters, I think- that recently had an episode about sharks coming inland up Rivers, and I believe it was Bull Sharks that they talked about who were doing it.

Some of them were coming pretty far inland.

Bull Sharks have been found over 1,000 miles upstream in both the Amazon and the Mississippi Rivers. Also in Nicaragua and Africa there are land-locked populations called the Lake Nicaragua Shark and Zambezi Shark.

rockhead01
If you are going to dive with Whites, definately go to Isla Guadalupe (MX). Has nothing to do with location, its visibility. In Guadalupe you routinely have 80+ foot visibility. To answer you next question, yes they do still have to bait the water. Only downsides of Guadalupe is you aren't dealing with full-grown adults and its a trip that will require 4-5 days minimum, but that being said, a 12-14ft Great White is still an impressive sight.

Farallon Islands (USA) are generally crap. Federal regulations prevent chumming of the water (by dive operators, researchers can to a limited extent) and visibility on a good day is 15-20ft. Basically means even if one were to come by the cage it would have to get real close. On the bright side, the population of the Farallons are large, mature adults. 15ft+ is the norm. Can also be done in a single day. Also, your always guaranteed to see some Humpbacks breaching or other cool sight while en route, too and from the islands.

Dyer Island/Channel (SA) can be hit or miss. Visibility is generally a lot better than the Farallons (in the range of 30-40ft on a good day), but weather can be rough. Also, it's only a couple miles from the shore so its an easy one-day trip, and dive rates are dirt cheap when compared to Guadalupe or the Farallons. Bonus is if you go there in the early morning you might get lucky and see a few surface chases or even a breach. Population is a mix between full-grown adults and sub-adults.

Port Lincoln (AUS) is generally pretty good. Visibility is generally in the range of 40ft and the Whites are again adults and sub-adults. In fact, the South Africa and Aussie Whites are the same population, they migrate between the two points. Downside is its not a trip that can be done in a single day, generally 3-4 days minimum.

Now there is also a congregation area for the Northern California population about half-way from San Francisco to Hawaii. Problem is accessability (distance) and the fact that the water depth at the location is in exess of 1,000 feet.

...and yes, I have been to all 4 locales. Did my master's thesis at UC-Santa Cruz on White Shark Hierarchy/Dominance on Elephant Seal kills in the Farallons...and yes, I do know that just because a shark is in the vicinity doesn't mean it will attack, but you also shouldn't tempt fate. Google the name "Timothy Treadwell" for reference.

FYI: some people consider Ocean Whitetips as the most dangerous, followed by either Bulls or Tigers, then Great Whites.

No one ever hears about Whitetips because attacks are usually far out to sea, resulting from shipwrecks, crashes, etc...with few survivors (most-famous sinking of the Indianapolis). Bulls and Tigers are a close second because both frequent areas that swimmers enjoy (warm, tropical water or even freshwater). Whites just because their sheer size, but they prefer cold, rough water.

I'm not going to address the personal attacks, but we'll just say that in the past year I've been to four separate continents and english is not my first (or second or even third) language.

It's just that in all my years of diving and "playing" with Whites, I have never come across anyone who takes people out on white shark (or even tiger shark) free dives legitimately. Under-the-table, yes, but hard to find.

Interestingly, last September we came across several Bull Sharks in the Blue Hole in Belize and no one said a word.

You're in New Jersey, awesome, there are some big Whites off of Montauk.

Free diving with tigers, is legit Jim Abernathy's Check out this link. I know a thing or two about sharks too!

That's why I built my own cage. I chose weather or not to get in or out of the cage! Most people don't know this but, it is extremely difficult to get sharks to come close. They are so weary of us.

That's awesome that you've been to all of those places. Good luck on your research!

All I saw in Belize was lots of nurse sharks..

Saw lots of nurse sharks too. They're the dimwitted kittens of the shark kingdom.

I saw Jim page, cool stuff. Hammerheads are really cool to be in the water with. I'm heading down to Costa Rica next week, but unfortunately won't have time to hit Cocos Island. Apparently Hammerheads congregate there en masse.

Rockhead, I'm curious, what are the dimensions of your cage and what type (and thickness) of metal did you use in the construction. I saw you used buoys for floatation, is that all you use?

Also, one more, what kind of camera were you using for those pics? They came out really well.

Meengineer0128
Saw lots of nurse sharks too. They're the dimwitted kittens of the shark kingdom.

I saw Jim page, cool stuff. Hammerheads are really cool to be in the water with. I'm heading down to Costa Rica next week, but unfortunately won't have time to hit Cocos Island. Apparently Hammerheads congregate there en masse.

Rockhead, I'm curious, what are the dimensions of your cage and what type (and thickness) of metal did you use in the construction. I saw you used buoys for floatation, is that all you use?

Also, one more, what kind of camera were you using for those pics? They came out really well.

No personal attack intended, lol. Just making sure your not one of those people voicing an opinion without knowing what your were talking about. You can't blame me for initially thinking you were, it's not like I know you directly.

I caught a glimpse once of a very small hammerhead on Sombrero Reef off Marathon Florida. About two feet in length. I wanted to get closer for a picture, but he took off when he saw me. I am going to look into Cocos island. I would love to dive with them, and it is always hard to find more than one in florida or even in Belize.

Sweet thread!!!! Up here in Rhode Island we get Makos and GW's off the coast between here and Nantucket/Block Island. In the winter we get alot of grey seals coming up into Narragansett bay and I always see people out during this time in dry suits and snorkels/scuba gear. There is no way you would get me in that water considering there is like 10 feet visibility and while the bay is pretty shallow overall you know at least some sharks come in chasing seals.

Meengineer0128
:(, the only way to see a shark here in Chicago is to go to the Shedd..... Thats why I have a membership
rockhead01

The cage is 4ft W x 3ft D x 6ft H. It also has a hinged lid, but we never use it. We built the frame out of 1/4' thick aluminum angles. Originally we were going to built the sides out of 1" square aluminum bars, but we quickly realized that there would be a weight issue with that much metal. There is usually only two of us to pull the cage out of the water, each of us using only one hand, the other holding on to the boat transom. We made a mock set up to figure out what was the most weight we could pull out and settled on about 100lbs. At this point the 1" bars were not an option so we started looking around and came across cattle panel. The same stuff a lot of the cages are made out of in South Africa. We also had to decide to either weld it together or screw it together. Neither of us had any experience welding so the bad boy has a couple hundred stainless steel bolts holding it together. We realize this will not keep a shark out if he wants in. It just a deterrent for them. It makes us feel a little protected too. Much more so than the dog cage I wanted to originally use. =) All we use is four buoys to float the cage and a 30ft wire cable attaches the cage to the boat. We have yet to submerge the cage, because it really presents too many complications with communicating to each other, so we keep it at the surface and snorkels work fine. It does have a scuba set up but we don't use it.

The camera I use is a little 10 megapixel canon powershot with the factory canon water case. I'll post some better shots of what the camera can do. It's a great little camera!

Off of Port Judith, Rhode Island there is supposedly really good blue shark diving & mako's too.

Ya Point Judith is at the base of the Narragansett Bay. If you went southish off Point Judith youd pretty much run into Block Island. From what I hear Mako's, Blues, porbeagles and basking sharks (and of course the ubiquitous dog fish lol) are the most common around here. GW's are pretty "rare" comparatively but in 2009 11 were spotted close to shore off Mass so they are definitely around.

Roxy,

Get an underwater video camera and take some videos for us. And add shark music (but don't make it cheesy).

rockhead01
Roxy,

Get an underwater video camera and take some videos for us. And add shark music (but don't make it cheesy).

There's no music, but hows this?

• 5 months later...

We were using the cage off of Cape May, NJ. We recently relocated to the Boston area and now have a slip in Kittery, ME. We hope to target the whites off of Mass. this next season. I can't wait!!

Mr. Whitey here I come! Oh yeah!

Nice, i do alot of offshore fishing from delmarva.. iv been saying for the last few years that i wanted to build a cage.. would add a different fun factor to the shark fishing trips..

Too bad I could have given you my old one. A few months ago I trashed my current cage because we were moving. My husband wants to build a new and improved model. LOL!!

I did think about listing it on craigs list! Imagine coming across that posting? LOL

Archived