Innovative Marine Aquariums

Phosphate Removal

HiepNotik

hi,

my tank has had GHA and red slime for a few weeks now, and the reasn why is my phosphate is a little high. for the past week or so I've been running chemipure elite in my AC70 but the GHA still their and so is the red slime. I was thinking of getting Phosban. Do I have to run phosban in a reactor, or can I put it in a tight filter sock and run it in my AC70? the reason I don't want to run it through a reactor is because I have so much equpiment running in my tank. Or should I pick up a phostphat pad cut it to size and stick in the AC70? is their a phosphate media someone can recommend? and 1 last question how often do you guys feed your fish? I have a clown and yellow watchmen I feed about a pinch of NLS small pellets every morning.

Thanks for the help

hi,

my tank has had GHA and red slime for a few weeks now, and the reasn why is my phosphate is a little high. for the past week or so I've been running chemipure elite in my AC70 but the GHA still their and so is the red slime. I was thinking of getting Phosban. Do I have to run phosban in a reactor, or can I put it in a tight filter sock and run it in my AC70? the reason I don't want to run it through a reactor is because I have so much equpiment running in my tank. Or should I pick up a phostphat pad cut it to size and stick in the AC70? is their a phosphate media someone can recommend? and 1 last question how often do you guys feed your fish? I have a clown and yellow watchmen I feed about a pinch of NLS small pellets every morning.

Thanks for the help

How big is your tank? How old is your tank? How often do you do water changes? What do you use to top off for evaporation?

cheryl jordan

You should be able to lower your phosphates by water changes with RI/DO only.

Reduction of feedings, every other day is enough.

Are you dosing anything?

Do you remember what your phosphate levels was?

Phosban will probably help, but you should find out where the phosphates are coming from.

:D

sorry forgot those infos. I have a 10g AGA and do a 20% water change a week whis is about 2g, I use Coral Pro salt. I top off with store bought RO water. I have my tank up and running for a little more 2 years now. have a 1 1/2 flase perc, watcmen goby, skunk shrimp, and about 20 snails. and no I font dose anything.

cheryl jordan

Have you changed out your bulbs in that 2 years?

I would vacume the sand, scub off the rocks, do a large water change and reduce feedings.

What to do you have in the way of power heads?

:)

For flow I have a K-nano, K1, flow from AC70, and Skimmer. at times I turn off my K1 because I think I have too much flow. As for sand Im actually getting less and less because I've vacume soo much red slime that I might need too add more soon. is it ok to put phosban in a tight filter socks and run it in my AC70 or do I need a reactor?

ohhhhh that might be the problem then, it has been more then a year since I've changed my bulb. I've been meaning to but I've recently been wanting to upgrade to LED's and not waste $60 or so on these new bulbs. does lighting play a big role in alge and red slime?

Archived